Six "astronauts" simulate a mission to Mars in the desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ernesto1973

Utah Desert, United States. January 11, 2008. The Mars Society has selected six people from around the world to be “astronauts†on a simulated Mission to Mars. They are the 64th crew so far to live and work inside the Mars Hab, or Habitat. It is a cylindrical structure designed to house a crew of six on the Martian surface. The Utah desert was selected for this venture due to its uncanny resemblance to the ruddy surface of the Red Planet. For two weeks, the crew will live in isolation, without any personal contact with the outside world. The only contact they will have with the world at large will consist solely of e-mails. There are no televisions on board, nor cell phone coverage. This only adds to the realism of a manned mission to Mars. Every person is assigned a primary role.<br /><br />This crew is continuing the research begun by the previous 63 missions. They have all taken place here at the Habitat, and involve “Mars walks†which include donning realistic spacesuits. In fact, no one can step outside of the “pressurized†areas without wearing a spacesuit. All the crew are participating in these extravehicular activities (EVAs), during which they collect “Martian†rocks/soil samples, and use a geological hammer, a scoop, and sample bags. Documentation has been provided by close-up photography as well as by videos and stills from different perspectives. Written reports have added to the documentation provided to Mission Control. For these missions, Mission Control consists of support personnel of the Mars Society, located in various cities. Additionally, our group is providing educational videos which can be accessed on the Mars Society channel on YouTube. <br /><br />Any further questions can be directed to the following e-mail address: csulb1998@hotmail.com

T

thebigcat

Yeah. The Mars Society's MDRS. Big Whoop. 64th different team already. Think they'll learn anything the first 63 missed? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

venator_3000

Hello & welcome to sdc.<br /><br />I am quite new here as well.<br /><br />I thank you for posting this info. I find some of what the Mars Society does of interest, but I do wonder about the overall "value" of these expeditions. Value can be subjective, of course, and if a manned mission to Mars were to happen tomorrow then the data and details and even techniques on these desert and arctic expeditions would be sought, if they are not already.<br /><br />Some of these missions seem a tad cutsy and seem more like jaunts. Are there other ways that the Mars Society is spending its membership money to support a goal of a manned Mars landing?<br /><br />I visit the site on occasion but will confess it has been awhile.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />v3k <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

The values of these exercises varies according to the goals and the calibre of the people<br /><br />On one extreme you have highly professional people from space agencies and universities doing detailed, focussed studies that are published in peer reviewed journals. On the other extreme you have people who are essentially doing it for the experience.<br /><br />There is a place for both.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

G

gunsandrockets

From one diagram I've seen, the MDRS Hab seems awfully cramped for six people to live in. That might be okay for a two week stay, but what if they tried to stay longer than a year? I wonder how they would cope.

J

JonClarke

I have spent a month on it, (Crew 14 http://desert.marssociety.org/mdrs/fs02/) and found it quite roomy. One week we had 14 people, the main issue then was the limited cooking space, and one toilet and shower. When he crew dropped to 7 it much better, when we had the three of the crew away on three day night rover traverses it seemed empty.<br /><br />Remember it is 8 m in diameter and 8 m high, 400 m3, with 100 m2 over two decks. Thaat is a small three bed room house in my part of the world. You could redesign it with three decks and still have adequate head room and get 150 m2 of of floor area.<br /><br />jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

T

thebigcat

I am thinking that it would probably be even more "spacious" if experienced at 1/3 G. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

venator_3000

Kosmonavtka,<br /><br />This article was funny but also encouraging. There used to be something called "the Mars Underground." I wonder if any of these folks were among that.<br /><br />Thanks for the link!<br /><br />v3k <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

Many of those who were involved in the founding of the mars Society were also part of the Mars underground. Robert Zubrin, Chris McKay, Penny Boston, Carol Stoker, and Larry Lemke, just to name a few. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

G

gunsandrockets

<I have spent a month on it, ... and found it quite roomy. ... when we had the three of the crew away on three day night rover traverses it seemed empty.><br /><br />I'll take your word for it.<br /><br />What originally struck me was the barely larger than bunk sized personal cabins; not much private space there! And it occured to me that the public areas might seem awfully confining after 2-1/2 Earth years, living in a space that small with 5 other people. I failed to take into account how much decompression of social tensions might come from conducting surface EVA.<br /><br />I think it would be a fabulous idea to have one team actually do a 500 day MDRS stay, just for the social science aspects. Though I understand why such an experiment has not been done considering the MS limited resources.<br /> <br /><br /><...One week we had 14 people, the main issue then was the limited cooking space, and one toilet and shower. When he crew dropped to 7 it much better,... /><br /><br />Did anyone consider reintroduction of the pre-industrial era custom of chamber pots? <br />

J

JonClarke

<i>What originally struck me was the barely larger than bunk sized personal cabins; not much private space there!</i><br /><br />They are not that small as I remember, there is room for a bunk, floor space to get in an out, a small desk and chair, and some shelving. We slept to people in each some of the time, one on the bunk and one on the floor. The main problem was lack of light, but that was more a problem of poor detailed design than lack of space. A small port hole would have beeen great, and better lighting and positioning of the desk would have made it more pleasant. <br /><br /><i>And it occured to me that the public areas might seem awfully confining after 2-1/2 Earth years, living in a space that small with 5 other people.</i><br /><br />Like I said, it is no worse than a small house, and certainly better tha a submarine. The mess area was really cosy. The only problem was that it was also the computer work area, and the mor workaholic types tended to work and eat at the same time. Bo the simulated stations that learned from this experience have made sure that computers are isolatd from the mess and recreation areas.<br /><br /><i>I failed to take into account how much decompression of social tensions might come from conducting surface EVA.</i><br /><br />Yes, I think this is very important. Getting out, especially when operating in "simulation mode" (no doing outside without wearing a simulated suit, etc.) was really something special. We also found that the dynamics of the group changed very diffferently when part of the group was away. in the sub group they had their own dynamics as well of course. With different peple going away you could get quite a bit of relational diversity. <br /><br /><i>I think it would be a fabulous idea to have one team actually do a 500 day MDRS stay, just for the social science aspects. Though I understand why such an experiment has not been done considering the MS limited resources.</i><br /><br />the longest one was the 100 d <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

V

venator_3000

At the library in the place where I work there are several bound volumes of something called the "Case for Mars." Those names stand-out.<br /><br />v3k <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

The 6 "Case for Mars" conferences were the public outcomes of the Mars underground. There is a lot of great stuff in those confernces and the proceedings are well worth reading.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts