Mars Mission Astronaut Boredom During Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tanstaafl76

<br />I was watching the Mars Rising special and they were discussing the potential difficulties with astronauts going nuts from boredom going all the way to Mars and back with not much to do in the meantime. As a result I was thinking of some ideas for activities that would work in such an environment. Perhaps this has been done before but it might be an interesting exercise to come up with a list of some innovative activities that could keep the astronauts engaged.<br /><br />My current favorite? Bonsai. I know, it sounds absurd. But the Mars mission will likely contain some sort of greenhouse type enclosure so that the astronauts can grow additional food, so there would be a suitable location for Bonsai to grow. And the relaxing study, branch training and pruning process would be something that could be a calming influence on what will undoubtedly be a mentally challenging journey. <br /><br />What do you think? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

j05h

<i>> What do you think?</i><br /><br />Two words: Virtual Reality. VR offers incredible promise for cramped future journeys. <br /><br />josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

R

richalex

Is there a documented case of someone actually going crazy from boredom in only 2 years? <br /><br />What keeps the ISS crew from dying of boredom?

S

scottb50

I would think they would have plenty to do en route just to get ready for what they are going to do once they get there.<br /><br />That, experiments and data collection of the environment would keep them pretty active. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

G

gunsandrockets

<discussing the potential difficulties with astronauts going nuts from boredom going all the way to Mars and back with not much to do in the meantime.><br /><br />How jaded is a person who would get bored while travelling to Mars! Let alone bored to the point of craziness.<br /><br /><Bonsai. I know, it sounds absurd. /><br /><br />No, it's a good idea. I believe the tending an agricultural experiment on Russian space station Mir proved beneficial for morale. And it might be nice to have something growing and colorful along for the ride to Mars (aside from scary zero-g globules of mold hiding behind power cabinets). So why not a houseplant or some flowers?<br /><br />Another wacky idea that occured to me for morale purposes, how about a pet fish? A fish-rover might be going a little too far though!

Q

qso1

Suprisingly enough, I think there could be periods in which there would be little to do. But your correct that they could keep themselves partly occupied with such things as landing sims etc. As far as what they will do on the surface, here they will probably largely rely on VR training enroute. <br /><br />J05H mentioned VR and because of the ability to have a multitude of VR experiences while saving space due to the relatively small size VR systems can be made to...this will probably prove to be the way to go.<br /><br />Not so long ago, some would mention bringing along books. Nowadays, several encyclopedias worth of books would fit on a DVD or a few DVDs.<br /><br />I tend to think by the time we go to mars, assuming we do so before the 28th century...much of the boredom problem will be worked out.<br /><br />I like the Bonsai idea. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

T

themanwithoutapast

If you put somebody into a cell for 2 years, alone, without any sound around him, without human contact, without a bed or light... yes, he might go crazy (the US uses this kind of toture on some of their prisoners from the "war on terror"). In contrast, a crew of scientists that travel to Mars, who occationally do not have any serious work to do, will still have interesting enough day schedules to not be bored - from 2 hours of sport each day, over watching personal videos, interviews, going through checklists, rememorizing and retraining certain procedures required in later stages of the flight.

A

anthmartian

I really do not feel i would go crazy. <br /><br />I am sure this "boring" journey i hear about will be interrupted with some work that has to be done. Plus, i know the personal items allowance will be small. But, surely the Astronauts will be given a laptop or something in a small cabin? <br /><br />Look at the size of data storage devices these days! You could carry an immense amount of ebooks, games, films, music, etc. Then multiply that by swapping data devices with your fellow crew members and watching their movies, or playing games etc. I feel once work has been attended to, once meal times have been taken out, and you have emailed home, they will have enough to occupy themselves.<br /><br />I know i would. I have practically lived like that at times in my life! lol <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em>"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"</em></font></p><p><font color="#33cccc"><strong>Han Solo - 1977 - A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....</strong></font></p><p><br /><br />Click Here And jump over to my site.<br /></p> </div>

C

cbased

I like the idea of bonsai (in general) too. I don't know how much time you can spend doing this. Trees don't grow fast?<br /><br />Astronauts can do some science (probably some of it on a semi-volunteering basis choosing tasks they like from the list supplied by science organisations)<br /><br />I have no doubts they will have high speed data connections on board. Time delays will probably prohibit some real-time activities but you could quite easily play chess. And you don't need to store books on the spacecraft - you can download them.<br />You can blog too.<br />You can study something. Imagine how much new and useful stuff you can learn during a several months long flight!

W

willpittenger

Install a remote controlled telescope and give your VR viewer a change to "look" through it. VR might help with some simulations of the landing and being on the surface. However, to do it right, you will need to put the VR chamber inside a variable speed centrifuge. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

T

tanstaafl76

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p> You will need a source of gravity (or something that feels like gravity) for both plants and fish.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />From what I understand, any mission to Mars will generate some amount of artificial gravity with centrifugal force. This is also important for the human passengers, as long-term weightlessness can have negative impact upon bone density and muscle strength.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bpfeifer

"I really do not feel i would go crazy."<br /><br />I agree. I can't imagine they would be bored. First, don't select the kind of astronauts who get bored. Pick people that are always finding something to do.<br /><br />Second, simply maintaining the ISS was practically a full time job for the two man crews. Most of the science they accomplished was performed durning their time off. I can't imagine a Mars mission will required less daily maintenance.<br /><br />Third, they will conduct many scientific investigations during the trip. Yes, hardware will be limited, but there will be plenty to do. There are a wealth of human physiology, psychology, food growth, etc. experiments they will likely perform. Additionally, they could try some joint astronomy projects with Earth bound observers to create a second point for radio interferometry observations.<br /><br />Add to that two hours of physical exercise each day, and you are rapidly approaching a full schedule. As someone else pointed out, They will still be able to recieve movies, ebooks, and music.<br /><br />Really, the most important thing from a human factors point of view is the relationship between the crew members. If the crew get along, have fun with each other, share some common interests, and respect their leaders, they will be fine for any length of journey. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Brian J. Pfeifer http://sabletower.wordpress.com<br /> The Dogsoldier Codex http://www.lulu.com/sabletower<br /> </div>

T

tanstaafl76

I think some may be underestimating what it would be like to be in such a confined space for six months both on the way there and the way back. SIX MONTHS in something with the internal volume of what, a 1-car garage? (if you're lucky) - and you're sharing it! There's no taking a break and grabbing a breath of fresh air outside, you are absolutely trapped with no capability even to get out even if there was an emergency. It's not like the ISS where there's a Russian capsule you can hop in and escape if things go bad. <br /><br />And when it transit, it's likely much of the navigation will be computer controlled. There's only so much the crew can go through landing simulations (they would have been training for months or years for it already anyway).<br /><br />As for "not picking people who get bored" it's very difficult to simulate that kind of isolation. Communication with Earth will very quickly become completely inefficient due to the time delay on the messages, which will make them feel even more isolated and alone. It becomes hard to predict who could wind up cracking under the pressure, or start to lose mental control.<br /><br />We also know humans tend not to sleep as well in space, and for a short trip like a shuttle mission or even a couple months on the ISS that's one thing. But for a 6 month journey it could be more of a problem considering the astronauts will need to be mentally sharp to perform vital duties once they arrive at Mars. <br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

thereiwas

"First, don't select the kind of astronauts who get bored. Pick people that are always finding something to do."<br /><br />This is something the Russians are good at. They do better psychological screening than NASA on exactly this topic. The Russians have given thumbs down on at least one NASA astronaut in the past for long term ISS duty.

T

tanstaafl76

Oh come on, it's not like NASA astronauts are wearing diapers in order to drive across multiple states without stopping with intention to assault a rival lover.<br /><br />In terms of the Russians, I seem to remember an incident on Mir in which a cosmonaut privately sent a message to their controllers on the ground that he needed to be brought home or he would literally kill the other man on the station. Anyone remember that?<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

O

one_g

I've recently suggested the following on a related thread, so bear with me if much of this is repetitive:<br /><br />I don't think the Mars mission should be a handful of astronauts in one big, expensive ship. That was the right approach for Apollo, and a journey through space that lasts a long weekend. I don't think it's the right approach for Mars. One reason is exactly the problem you speak of: boredom.<br /><br />The Mars mission should be a quite large number of people in numerous, smaller craft, each carrying three or four. I'd prefer 99 astronauts in 33 small ships. They'd be sent out in a dispersed pattern, tethered, and together rotating around a central hub for artificial gravity. The astronauts would do a lot of spacewalking, in free space and along the tether lines. They'd be able to do repairs; they'd be able to visit each other.<br /><br />At least they wouldn't feel "cooped up," claustrophobic.<br /><br />There are of course other advantages to this sort of mission. For instance, it would allow the manned exploration of many interesting sites on Mars within the very first mission: on Mars, three could explore the Ice Caps, three Mons Olympus, three Valle Marineris, etc.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

J

JonClarke

<i>Oh come on, it's not like NASA astronauts are wearing diapers in order to drive across multiple states without stopping with intention to assault a rival lover.</i><br /><br />What is the relevance of this to an actual mission?<br /><br /><i>In terms of the Russians, I seem to remember an incident on Mir in which a cosmonaut privately sent a message to their controllers on the ground that he needed to be brought home or he would literally kill the other man on the station. Anyone remember that?</i><br /><br />Which mission? There were more than 30 missions to Mir and more than 200 people who visited the station.<br /><br />There hace been moe than 25 years of cumulative mission time on space stations. Few have complained of bordom. The opposite, overwork, is usually the case.<br /><br />On a mission to mars a crew will be busy exercising, monitoring their own and the spacecraft's health, training for EDL, carrying out crusie phase research, and keeping abreast of all that is known about Mars. There will also be books, films, and games. They won't have time to get bored, even if they were the sort of people to would get bored, which they won't be.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

A

anthmartian

I totally agree Jon. <br /><br />I imagine unmanned activity on Mars will be at an all time high prior to a humans to Mars mission, even while they are enroute. <br /><br />I spend a great amount of time each day following various space missions. I would like to think the Mars bound Astronauts will have more than a passing interest in what is going on on Mars. Following those robotic missions is another "thing to do". More than just for entertainment value, it could vastly improve their performance on Mars itself.<br /><br />I feel the people who are convinced the Astronauts will be bored or going nuts are over estimating the level of technology that will be used on the mission. It will need supervision and maintenance a large part of the time. <br /><br />I would also say they are under estimating the crew.<br /><br />between meal times, exercise, work, maintenance, corresponding with family and friends, music, reading, playing video games, watching TV and movies, blogging, even being sent their "bookmarked" web sites. I cannot believe the individuals such as those chosen for this mission will get bored.<br /><br />Irritating each other in close confines. Could be a problem, yes. But my gues is these people will have worked together for a very long time. I can see privacy being a major factor in the design of the ship. Even if it is small. Astronauts will have their own cabin ( broom cupboard perhaps ) whatever size it is, it will be theirs. I can see strict rules in place regarding those private spaces too.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em>"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"</em></font></p><p><font color="#33cccc"><strong>Han Solo - 1977 - A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....</strong></font></p><p><br /><br />Click Here And jump over to my site.<br /></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

In terms of person irriation, people will be slected as groups, as well as indiviuduals. people will have worked together for years before they go to Mars. In training expeditions (including hard core survival sessions designed to teach mutual trust as well as self reliance), field geology trips, even previous long duration space missions to LEO and the Moon. There will be very little the crew won't already know about the others on board and they will both like and respect them. Otherwise they won't be going.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

E

erioladastra

"What keeps the ISS crew from dying of boredom?'<br /><br />Movies, email and internet phone (with a manageable delay).

E

erioladastra

"Astronauts can do some science"<br /><br />The problem with that is you need small, long running experiments. On ISS payloads are changed out.

E

erioladastra

"They do better psychological screening than NASA on exactly this topic"<br /><br />Based on what data? If I recall in the Salyut days one crew came back early because of such issues. Also, I think what you are really seeing is a lack of data in the open media. Plus they would probably run out of Vodka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts