Marsdrive new Mars mission design

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gunsandrockets

INTRODUCTION<br /><br />Marsdrive <br /><br />Is replacing the Mars mission design they previously supported<br /><br /> Mars For Less <br /><br />and is soliciting advice for the new mission design <br /><br />unofficial project - our own mission design <br /><br />there is already a parallel thread at the nasaspaceflight.com forum<br /><br />New Mars mission design - team members needed<br /><br />So I thought I would start a parallel thread here.<br /><br />Here is what marsdrive is looking for...<br /><br />"The aim of this new design is to provide a viable alternative to past or current Mars mission designs and one that can be considered as innovative and even appealling to the private sector. Our first design was put together by Grant Bonin and was titled "Mars For Less". This initial design has taught us many things and as a result we are doing a total redesign from scratch. We do not prefer one design over another, MLV or HLV, etc, only that we stick to the aim of keeping costs as low as realistically impossible while still addressing the critical issues. Our chief advisor is Donald Rapp ( http://www.mars-lunar.net/Don.Rapp.Resume.website.doc.pdf ) whom some of you might know and current lead designer is Terry Wilson who is also a member here ( username- AfterColumbia). Much like the DIRECT launcher proposal this will be a volunteer based effort but hopefully we will have better success with it in the end." <br /><br />"We want this design to be balanced and as professional as possible and to do that we need your assistance. MarsDriv

F

frankmars

I wasn't sure where to put this but just providing an update on the Marsdrive Mission design. We are also looking at several small scale r&d projects to see what ISRU systems work and what doesn't as a first step to get something real done before the final design comes out. <br /><br />We will most likely publish an initial design later this year but with technology demonstration tests pending which could change the future design quite radically. Any help through these processes is appreciated and we do intend to follow normal engineering design processes instead of the usual "Hey look at my new Mars plan" and hope for the best. So anyone interested in serious pursuit of a solid and professional peer review human mission plan, you are welcome to join. We have 10 in the team as it is and 2 advisors but we'd like to increase that number really get it going. The team update and discuss over at our forums- http://www.marsdrive.com/phpBB2/<br /><br />It is an invisible forum so you have to register first, let me know what qualifications you can bring and beyond that just to have an open mind is the key.

G

gunsandrockets

[In a follow up to this introduction I will post my own idea for a replacement plan, but not tonight as it's getting late.]<br /><br />So much for my best laid plans! I have been terribly tardy but I suppose that is actually a good thing since my concept has been continually changing. Ugh.<br /><br />But I provide this link...<br /><br />http://www.sff.net/people/Geoffrey.Landis/pole.html<br /><br />... as a starting point of the focus of an ideal mission design.<br /><br />

J

j05h

Frank - I log onto the MarsDrive forum, but can't find the mission design thread. <br /><br />My essential points are the ability to start with small payloads, using multiple launch providers and a common cruise/aerobrake/EDL stage with crew and cargo. Any kind of Mars mission (crewed, robotic, corporate, govt) has to have a goal. Not just objectives, but a solid goal like "establish a town in eastern Elysium" or "Deliver 1000 tons of water from Phobos to L1 within 15 years" or "establish a research institute in Valles Marineris."<br /><br />I favor starting small with a single Delta IV-Heavy direct-throw, others recommend LEO assembly/fuelling - whatever works but I absolutely question the need for HLV. Insisting on HLV has consistently gotten in the way of extra-LEO activities for NASA. If it's a corporate effort, ask yourself: "Is rocket development our core competence?" If it was my company doing the going, it would build a Phobos base camp and tele-operated dozers to establish water-mining and first habitat at Elysium or similar site. It would use and recycle as much pre-designed, off-the-shelf hardware as possible, and throw resources where it really helps. Crewed flights can either be launched and fueled from LEO or follow a surge-launch direct-throw approach sending several crew capsules and Bigelow SunDancers in a single Mars window. My goal would be to start a cis-Mars export and services company, including the 2 base-towns. Travel light, live off the land. <br /><br />Anyway, if you read this, let me know how to get into that thread.<br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

F

frankmars

The mission design forum there is hidden so just send me a PM and I will give you access Josh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts