Mental breaks on space missions

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

researcher

There have been mental breaks on scientific expeditions for over a hundred years. There was one on Soyuz-21 and Buzz Aldrin had a mental breakdown after his walk on the moon. They remain unexplained. <br /><br />But the cause is simple if you are aware of a little known problem of human physiology related to the vision startle reflex. <br /><br />In the 1960's designers accidentally discovered the problem when office workers began to have mental breaks. Today the phenomenon is believed to cause a harmless temporary episode of confusion and pseudo-psychotic behavior. <br /><br />As a feature of all physiology the event will happen anywhere the "special conditions" to create exposure from visual Subliminal Distraction exist. <br /><br />Too-small single-room living and working arrangements do that. In the 1880's bunkhouses in lumber-camps created Jumping Frenchmen of Maine syndrome. The entire crew of the Belgica, Belgian Polar Expedition 1898, began to go insane when the ship was trapped in polar ice for thirteen months. They recovered when they worked outside for three months to chop the ship out of the ice. There was one case of permanent insanity. <br /><br />Neither NASA nor the Russian space agency is aware of this problem. They make no provisions for Cubicle Level Protection for crews. The cubicle was the solution to stop office worker's mental breaks by 1968.<br /><br />There is a current news story about an astronaut driving 900 miles to assault a coworker over a relationship with a shuttle pilot associate. The married mother of three denied a physical relationship. So why did she do it? She would have been exposed to Subliminal Distraction both in missions and training. <br /><br />This phenomenon will continue until it is acted out during a mission with catastrophic outcome. This almost happened on Soyuz-21.<br /><br />Visit VisionAndPsychosis.Net and perform the psychology demonstration to understand how exposure begins. The Astronauts & Insanity page has links to o

M

MeteorWayne

I guess the first question is, what do you define as a "mental break" ?<br /><br />I use the term to describe when I don't pay attention to th outside world, hence a "break". <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

I take my mental breaks at work - Smoke breaks too. And occasionally grab a soda break, water break, work break, rest break and sometimes I take a nap break. I don't usually take a lunch break though. My day is too full! Busy, busy, busy, work work work... . ..<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

J

JonClarke

Generally people on space missions take a day off a week, this gives the mental break they need.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts