MESSENGER Mercury Updates.

Page 23 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stupidlaminatedrock

Re: First Messenger flyby of Mercury

Why are they wasting there time looking for Vulcan?

The math just doesnt add up for it too exist.

Hi stupidlaminatedrock.

Vulcan, the postulated tiny inner, inner planet does not exist. That much is fact.

However vulcanoids as a group of small bodies are theoretically possible in an orbit approx 0.17 AU from the Sun or approx half of Mercury's mean distance.

However like yourself, I too very much doubt their actual existence. MESSENGER is often very well placed at Perihelion to carry out a search (in fact I will check out MESSENGER's position as on the date of the image I posted), as even 0.17 AU elongates to approx 40 degrees from the Sun IIRC from Mercury's own perihelia (I will follow that up too).

However, Wayne can also certainly tell you of his doubts also (he is certainly much better qualified than me to comment on this). Our doubts surround long term orbital perturbations, resulting from Mercury's own elliptical orbit, Jupiter (even from this close to the Sun, Jupiter still perturbs) the Yarkovsky Effect on the smaller potential vulcanoids will displace them into unstable more eccentric orbits & one other doubt I have is the low orbit, potentially partially melting any smaller vulcanoids i.e reducing them to blobs of lava in effect, unless they have very high albedos (highly unlikely uless they're made of metal & are type M).

Searches from Earth & SOHO could have detected the larger ones if they exist, 60 KM across or above (similar in size to the main belt Asteroid 243 Ida). MESSENGER could detect potential mountain sized vulcanoids barely a few KM across, similar in size to the smaller main belt asteroids & smaller than both of the Mars moons Phobos & Deimos.

However, MESSENGER last June & this February was just cruising between Mercury encounters, not really doing anything much, so why not try & look?

It does'nt hurt & MESSENGER was designed for this task as a secondary mission, so I'm all for it, despite my doubts.

Besides I like astronomical observations from space & from the surface of other planets, moons & other bodies, so perhaps I am a little biased in that respect.

I think the nails in the coffin of vulcanoids are being nailed in & the image I posted is certainly one such nail, but I hope MESSENGER does continue the search though.

Even after reaching Hermcentric orbit in March 2011, MESSENGER may continue the search, when the Sun disappears below Mercury's horizon & the potential vulcanoid orbit is still visible (prior to setting).

Really I do not think they exist, but there's no harm in searching. If we do not look, we will never know & we have a fantastic spacecraft in that part of the solar system that can look.

Andrew Brown.

As promised earlier, view of Sun as seen from MESSENGER on Wednesday 4th June 2008.

778688d1920a23aa.jpg
As can be seen, the image taken by MESSENGER had the Sun barely out of the right of the frame, in northern Scorpius. The Sun, only 47.3 million KM or 0.3 AU away barely out of view.

Jupiter as seen from MESSENGER at same time & date as above.
b2d34915a6b74dcd.jpg

Andrew Brown.

Yet another very interesting update this week (not as though there are ever any boring ones anyway on the MESSENGER site).

Looking into Praxiteles Crater.

CN0131771678M_web2.png

Another possible Hermean Volcano contained within.

Crop & enlargement of possibe caldera below.
87bcac7c48b295f8.jpg

Countdown to encounter #3. Tuesday 29th September 2009.

191 Days.
8 Hours.
29 Minutes.
15 Seconds.

Andrew Brown.

I hope Jon Clarke & Wayne do not object, I've merged both MESSENGER threads into one. The MESSENGER updates on the NASA JHU site seem to switch between both MESSENGER encounters (January 2008 & October 2008), so instead of keeping two threads active, I took an executive decision & just merged them & renamed the thread.

Anyway, update from the Second Mercury Encounter,

Caloris Antipode. Mariner 10 & MESSENGER observed the same area, but under very differnet illumiation. Mariner 10 close to the dusk terminator, MESSENGER under an almost Hermean Noon Sun.

The area on the right of the frame is directly opposite the centre of the Caloris Basin.

It is thought that the impact seismic waves from the Caloris forming event focused on the opposite side of Mercury, causing a hilly terrain.

The large flat floored lava filled crater is the 150 KM wide Petrarch Crater.

Caloris_antipode.jpg

189 Days.
0 Hour.
33 Minutes.
15 Seconds.

Andrew Brown.

Another fascinating update this week.

From First MESSENGER Mercury encounter. January 2008.

The Curious Case of Raditladi Basin.

Extentional faulting within Raditladi Basin (something I had already suggested earlier on). I think there may be small cones & / or flows here, but that will remain to be seen after the primary orbital mission commences.

Raditladi.png

181 Days.
1 Hour.
35 Minutes.
45 Seconds.

Andrew Brown.

I think that this will be a good one for Wayne.

Evidence of Mercury having Sun Synchronous Rotation before basin forming impacts (Caloris, Tolstoj, Rembrandt, etc) spun Mercury to the current 3:2 resonance with the Sun.

Article Here.

Also here, the possibilty of trapped ice in the Hermean Regolith at lower latitudes I'm not so sure about this one. But it's an interesting concept none the less.

Article here.

175 Days.
23 Hours.
17 Minutes.
00 Seconds.

Andrew Brown.

H

h2ouniverse

hi Andrew

How far North is this?
I can't wait til we get images of polar craters, to check the "ice" hypothesis.
Do you know whether the next fly-by will brinig more on this topic?

Best regards.

M

MeteorWayne

No, the next flyby will be a practical duplicate of the last one. It will cover the same territory. However, with the knowledge gained from CA 2, the instruments will be focused on the more interesting, or less covered areas.

Hi Joel,

Oskison Crater is approx 60 deg & 36' North.

Wayne is absolutely spot on regarding the upconming third encounter this September.

The solar illumination will be only three degrees different to the west as from the second encounter last October.

I need to investigate, I think the viewing geometry from MESSENGER is slightly different, in that Mercury will appear as a much fatter crescent during the approach, so we get to have a much better image tie in on the newly seen terrain, part of which was a narrow strip that was so highly foreshortend last time. In September it will appear much clearer on the approach crescent & I would imagine that the MESSENGER team will run a great circle mosaic along that line (I would if I had a say).

Wayne is also correct in that individual features identified last October will be singled out for more focussed study this time. I have submitted requests for a more focussed study on Rembrandt Basin, partivularly the stepped layering on the western side, also of a curious dark feature found in October, which to me looks like evidence of more recent volcanism (I say more recent but still probably 3 GYO at he very least) & also the smooth equatorial Lava Plains found inbound last October, to be seen at higher resolution.

Regarding the poles, they will be very well served (particularly the Hermean Arctic) during the 82 degree inclined primary orbital mission. I have already submitted to the MESSENGER team the idea utilised by JAXA to image the interior of Shackleton Crater with Kaguya Selene & the lunar south pole, i.e, longer exposure to capture reflected sunlight from the sunlit upper rim shining into the permanently shadowed interior.

Also MESSENGER will be able to detect the distribution of water outgassing or even in the form of surface ice using the FIPS (Fast Imaging Plasma Spectrometer), MASCS (Mercury Atmospheric and Surface Composition Spectrometer) & MDIS (Mercury Dual Imaging System).

We'll see after Friday 18th March 2011, when MESSENGER finally achieves Hermcentric orbit.

Andrew Brown.

LPSC reports on Mercury evolution & tectonics.

Below: 850 KM wide area showing distribution of scarps associated with the 350 KM long Beagle Rupes.
da7f60d0f032710b.jpg

Pantheon Fossae & 40 KM wide Apollodorus Crater with graben diagram.
6b3a691d3b1da2d0.jpg

Diagram showing Mercury crustal deformation during the Caloris Forming event.
a34fa16a1375b68d.jpg

Countdown to 3rd closest approach: Tuesday 29th September 2009.

172 Days.
3 Hours.
42 Minutes.
15 Seconds.

Andrew Brown.

S

silylene

3488":2p3eefez said:
Hi Joel,

Regarding the poles, they will be very well served (particularly the Hermean Arctic) during the 82 degree inclined primary orbital mission. I have already submitted to the MESSENGER team the idea utilised by JAXA to image the interior of Shackleton Crater with Kaguya Selene & the lunar south pole, i.e, longer exposure to capture reflected sunlight from the sunlit upper rim shining into the permanently shadowed interior.

Also MESSENGER will be able to detect the distribution of water outgassing or even in the form of surface ice using the FIPS (Fast Imaging Plasma Spectrometer), MASCS (Mercury Atmospheric and Surface Composition Spectrometer) & MDIS (Mercury Dual Imaging System).

We'll see after Friday 18th March 2011, when MESSENGER finally achieves Hermcentric orbit.

Andrew Brown.

Andrew, I like that idea. I hope it gets imaged as you requested!

Thanks silylene,

The MESSENGER team quite liked the idea & Dr Ralph McNutt said it would definately be looked into. He reckoned MESSENGER MDIS would be capable of doing that.

Certainly MDIS is capable of searching for mountain sized vulcanoids & imaging stars well below naked eye visibility, so perhaps rim lit crater floors in the permanently shadowed polar regions, seems quite doable.

I really love this mission, it's actually one of my all time favourites & will follow MESSENGER & submit ideas to the bitter end, when ever that will be.

Andrew Brown.

Just worth mentioning,

167 KM wide Chao Meng Fu Crater, contains Mercury's south pole. Chao Meng Fu is centred on 87 degrees 18' south & the south pole is situated inside the N W wall. Approx 40% of this crater never sees sunlight & the unlit area remains at temperatures below -230 C / 43 K.

Mariner 10 image of Chao Meng Fu Crater. Encounter #2 on Saturday 21st September 1974.
65ad7af34159e663.gif

Also visible here as the shadowed highly foreshortened crater at the very bottom of Mercury in this Mariner 10 image.
62ca2c5f687b590b.jpg

Here Chao Meng Fu crater is visible to the bottom right in this Mariner 10 frame of the south polar region of Mercury. Encounter #2 on Saturday 21st September 1974.
6fae767d2940e8cf.jpg

Radar Image of Mercury North Pole. Neither Mariner 10 or MESSENGER have seen this area very well. MESSENGER will get to see this area in very high resolution from March 2011, after orbital insertion.
merc_fig2sm.jpg

170 Days.
21 Hours.
11 Minutes.
15 Seconds.

Andrew Brown.

Something that cropped up on The Spaceport, regarding surface temperatures on Mercury.

Someone here may be interested, I have taken this info from: Strom: Mercury the Elusive Planet.

Surface temperatures at the Equator on Mercury.

Dawn. -183 C / -297 F. Methane freezes.

Plus 22 Earth Days: +27 C / +81 F. Same as a hot Summers day in the UK.

Plus 44 Earth days: +407 C / +765 F. Noon on Mercury. Sun at Zenith.

Plus 50 Earth days: + 427 C / + 801 F. Maximum on Mercury. Early Afternoon on Mercury.

Plus 88 Earth Days: Sunset on Mercury. -23 C / -9 F. Approx 5 C cooler than domestic freezers.

Plus 132 Earth Days. -173 C / -279 F. Midnight on Mercury. Sun at Nadir

Plus 176 Earth Days. -183 C / -297 F. Methane freezes. Dawn again on Mercury.

Anyway,

This week's update.

80 KM wide Moody Crater with partially lava flooded floor.

moody4.png

My own crop & enlargement of Moody Crater.
b78f1b6dad08382e.jpg

Also this interesting, slightly elongated 140 KM long lava flooded crater to the north east of Moody Crater.
51477314730ea403.jpg

167 Days.
23 Hours.
54 Minutes.
15 Seconds.

Andrew Brown.

From yesterday's release, I've cropped an area approx 300 KM wide north of Moody Crater.

The topography looks interesting here. Ghost craters, hills, valleys & a smoother lava plain to the east (right) & definitely more createred on the left.

300kmwideareanorthofmoo.jpg

167 Days.
0 Hours.
23 Minutes.
15 Seconds.

Andrew Brown.

Having big problems with my computer & currently have a loan of another one.

This week's update, a 170 KM wide region on the DAWN terminator, enc # 2 October 2008.
EN0131772108M_web.png

Anyway new PDS image releases & I have provided shortcuts to the two which mostly focus on encounter #2.

PDS MESSENGER Enc # 2 directory 280.

PDS MESSENGER Enc # 2 directory 281.

Please note that the post periherm images are upside down & need rotating 180 degrees (MESSENGER had to flip over post periherm to keep Mercury in view of the MDIS, whilst keeping the large sunshade turned towards the Sun).

160 Days.
23 Hours.
14 Minutes.
15 Seconds.

Andrew Brown.

A few I've downloaded.

One seen before but is a great one, the large scarp within the previously unimaged 'Gore', a long narrow stretch of terrain in the northern hemisphere missed by Mariner 10, whilst Mariner 10 imaged the rest of that hemisphere.

This scarp is one of the largest on Mercury & Mariner 10 only just missed it, with MESSENGER finally finding it in October 2008. encounter # 2
regioninthegore2outboun.jpg

A region within 'The Gore' to the south west of the above encounter # 2.
regioninthegoreoutbound.jpg

A heavily cratered region in the far north outbound encounter # 2.
crateredterraininnortho.jpg

A line of large craters in the far noth of Mercury. Outbound encounter # 2.
crateredterraininnortho.jpg

Previously unimaged north polar region outbound encounter # 2.
ouboundlimbnorthpolar1e.jpg

Newly imaged intercrater plains outbound encounter # 2.
intercraterplainsoutbou.jpg

Newly imaged area of hills, lava plain & a few lava filled valleys.
lavaplainhillsoutbounde.jpg

Interesting darker area in newly imaged terrain & scarp outbound encounter # 2,
interestingdarkerregion.jpg

S E quadrant of receding Mercury. The large bright ray crater to the lower right was detected from Earth using the Arecibo Radio Telescope & was informally dubbed Crater A. Kuiper Crater first imaged by Mariner 10 is seen to the top left. Encounter # 2.
outboundquadrantenc2mes.jpg

Mercury receding. Encounter # 2.
outboundgibbous1.jpg

Mercury receding, southern hemisphere to just north of the equator. Encounter # 2.
outboundsouthernhemisph.jpg

The Iconic 'Stripy Mercury' seen receding encounter # 2.
outboundgibbous2enc2mes.jpg

Further away now.
outboundgibbousenc2mess.jpg

Bye Bye till: Tuesday 29th September 2009.
outboundgibbous4enc2mes.jpg

Navigational & engineering test image of M45 Pleiades from MESSENGER MDIS WAC.
pleiadesm452008messenge.jpg

I will be back with some more later, particularly from the inbound side, which was all new terrain, never seen before.

160 Days.
2 Hours.
53 Minutes.
15 Seconds.

Andrew Brown.

As I threatened, er promised earlier, i would be back wth some more.

Crescent during approach. All terrain here was newly seen.
crescentapproachenc2mes.jpg

Mid southern latitudes limb view during approach. This was all new terrain.
approachlimb2enc2messen.jpg

Equatorial Lava Plains. Inbound encounter # 2.
equatoriallavaplainsapp.jpg

Northern limb view during approach. Encounter # 2.
approachlimb11enc2messe.jpg

Far northern limb during approach. Encounter # 2.
approachlimbnorthpolare.jpg

Mid northern latitudes limb view during approach. This was all new terrain.
approachlimb9enc2messen.jpg

Couple of large lava flooded 'Ghost' craters. Inbound encounter # 2.
approachnorthterminator.jpg

Northern part of Rembrandt Basin during approach. Encounter # 2.
rembrandtbasinnorth1mes.jpg

Central Rembrandt Basin during approach. Encounter # 2.
rembrandtbasincentre2me.jpg

Southern Rembrandt Basin & limb, during approach. Encounter # 2.
rembrandtbasinsouth4mes.jpg

Area approx 430 KM across with Lava flooded Ghost crater with rille. During approach encounter # 2.
lavafloodedcraterwithsc.jpg

159 Days.
23 Hours.
55 Minutes.
15 Seconds.

Andrew Brown.

A few more new Mercury images.

62 KM wide Kuiper Crater & terrain to the north. Outbound encounter #2.
KuiperCraterareatothenorthoutbou-1.jpg

Newly seen terrain on outbound limb encounter #2.
Northernlavaplainsoutboundenc2ME-1.jpg

Northernlimb2outboundenc2MESSENG-1.jpg

Northernlimboutboundenc2MESSENGE-1.jpg

Outbound newly seen limb with Ray Crater 'A'. (previously identified from Earth based RADAR images, though not at this level of detail). Outbound encounter #2.
Ouboundlimb1enc2MESSENGER-1.jpg

South polar region. Previously seen Mariner 10 seen terrain on left (lighting is from the other way this time), newly seen right. Chao Meng Fu, the south polar crater can be seen bottom left. Outbound encounter #2.
Southpolarregionoutboundenc2MESS-1.jpg

Caloris Antipode Weird Terrain is left, newly seen terrain right. Outbound encounter #2.
WeirdterrainantipodeofCalorisout-1.jpg

Caloris Antipode Weird Terrain with 150 KM wide Petrarch Crater. Outbound encounter # 2.
CalorisAntipodePetrarchCrateroutbou.jpg

Northern terrain coming into the Dawn. Outbound encounter #2.
Northerncrateredterminatoroutbounde.jpg

Equatorial limb newly seen terrain outbound encounter # 2.
Equatoriallimboutboundenc2MESSENGER.jpg

157 Days.
6 Hours.
45 Minutes.
15 Seconds.

Andrew Brown.

M

MeteorWayne

NASA To Hold Briefing To Discuss New Findings About Planet Mercury WASHINGTON -- NASA will host a media teleconference on Thursday, April 30, at 2 p.m. EDT to discuss new data and findings revealed by the Mercury Surface, Space Environment, Geochemistry, and Ranging spacecraft known as MESSENGER.

The spacecraft is the first mission designed to orbit the planet closest to the sun. The probe flew past Mercury on Jan. 14, 2008, and Oct. 6, 2008, conducting the first up-close measurements of the planet since Mariner 10's final flyby on March 16, 1975.

The briefing participants are:
- Marilyn Lindstrom, program scientist, NASA Headquarters in Washington
- William McClintock, co-investigator, University of Colorado, Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics in Boulder, Colo.
- James Slavin, co-investigator and chief, Laboratory for Solar and Space Physics, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.
- Thomas Watters, participating scientist, Smithsonian Institution in Washington
- Brett Denevi, imaging team member and postdoctoral researcher, Arizona State University in Phoenix

A replay of the teleconference will be available until May 7 by dialing 800-846-6758.

Supporting visuals will be available online April 30 at the start of the teleconference at:

http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/news_room

Status
Not open for further replies.