Metamaterials & Space Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kidkboom

I have a burning question for the fine minds gathered here.

Been watching the news releases from the world of science and recently, a couple of different things have come across referring to light and the unforeseen functions of some metamaterials... Just today, an article was discussing metamaterials being used to "trap" EM light in a Chinese study ( http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 093534.htm ) and a similar article about cloaking properties of metamaterials ( http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 210937.htm )...

This got me thinking about other limits of conventional materials as opposed to meta and as an S(SF) obsessor I had to ask: Is there a possibility that the properties of metamaterials might change the situation as regards to long-distance spaceflight?

Trouble is I run into a comprehension wall right there.. I've read that the ultimate limit to fast space travel is a phenomenon known as Hawking radiation that breaks down anything on its way to or through light speed... but if metamaterials and isotropic materials have shown some ability in confounding the 'laws' of light itself, maybe there exists the possibility that these things could be turned toward the task of FAL/FTL travel?

I know the folks here have mountains more knowledge and education than do I as a mere enthusiast... but I'm very curious to know what speculations you all might offer..

Thanks for your attention - luck/life/kidk

B

bdewoody

What in the wide wide world of sports does this have to do with AVIATION?

K

kidkboom

Yeah, okay - maybe my logic in posting here wasn't as clear as I thought it was.. The process was something like this..

a) I sign up on 'space.com' ... go into the forums.. look at the various topic headings.. try to figure out, "Where would a question about the science of aviating through deep space go?" I ponder this for a moment.
b) After what admittedly must have been only a few moments of deliberation, I thought "Aviation" in the "space.com" forums would be a good place to post a question concerning space aviation.

My mistake.

A

adrenalynn

Welcome to the forum anyway! :)

I reported it right after you made it and then MeteorWayne moved it to the appropriate place like a dozen hours later, so no harm done, right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts