meteor/flash north central arkansas 10-25-08

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lhazc

<p>Im new to this board, but I was just wanting to know if anyone else saw the ?meteor? on 10-25 over north central Arkansas. it was the most awesome "Falling star " Ive ever seen.&nbsp;&nbsp;I was driving home&nbsp; around 9:55pm central&nbsp;time and to the south east I saw what started out looking like a reagular falling star, before I could say "wow look at that" my neice was saying wow. it looked like it was going straight down and getting bigger, turned from the normal yellowish color to green and then a pretty good flash like it blew up then it was gone. the whole thing probably lasted only 2-3&nbsp; seconds but it seemed like alot longer. it was crazy to see it,&nbsp; did anyone else see it????? I was near Batesville Arkansas and it was to the south east of us.&nbsp;&nbsp; Ive saw a video of&nbsp;a meteor with this type of flash/exploding today and its just like what we saw last night.&nbsp;&nbsp;it was&nbsp;awesome to actually see it in person!!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Im new to this board, but I was just wanting to know if anyone else saw the ?meteor? on 10-25 over north central Arkansas. it was the most awesome "Falling star " Ive ever seen.&nbsp;&nbsp;I was driving home&nbsp; around 9:55pm central&nbsp;time and to the south east I saw what started out looking like a reagular falling star, before I could say "wow look at that" my neice was saying wow. it looked like it was going straight down and getting bigger, turned from the normal yellowish color to green and then a pretty good flash like it blew up then it was gone. the whole thing probably lasted only 2-3&nbsp; seconds but it seemed like alot longer. it was crazy to see it,&nbsp; did anyone else see it????? I was near Batesville Arkansas and it was to the south east of us.&nbsp;&nbsp; Ive saw a video of&nbsp;a meteor with this type of flash/exploding today and its just like what we saw last night.&nbsp;&nbsp;it was&nbsp;awesome to actually see it in person!!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks <br />Posted by lhazc</DIV><br /><br />Didn't see it from here in NJ (since I was napping to go out for meteor observing during the following morning, also too far away) but I can give you some information. It was most likely a Fireball from either the northern or southern Taurid meteor showers, two of the 5 active showers this week. The Taurids produce occasional fireballs, though I haven't seen any exceptionally bright ones yet this year. at that time of the evening you might see&nbsp;1 an hour from the combined showers, depending on how dark your sky is. Most Taurids are much fainter, sounds like you got quite a treat. So far this year, I have seen 17 northern and 14 southern Taurids in about 29 hours of observing time.</p><p>It would be useful if you could fill out a fireball report on what you winessed.</p><p>Here's one for the inexperienced observer:</p><p>&nbsp;http://www.namnmeteors.org/fireball/report.html</p><p>And one if you can provide some more data.</p><p>http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball/report.html</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

L

lhazc

<p>&nbsp;I did report it to&nbsp;AMS fireball sightings.&nbsp;still dont know if anyone else seen it or reported it. but if you were driving south on 67/167 out of batesville you probably couldnt have missed it...</p><p>&nbsp;not sure what the northern or southern taurids are.&nbsp; is it which way they are going? coming from ?&nbsp; most of what we end up seeing is gone in the blink of an eye&nbsp; and usually not very bright at all&nbsp;&nbsp; is it better to try to see them early in the morning? instead of late in the evening?&nbsp; Thanks</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>wow just saw it listed on the 2008 fireball sighting log,&nbsp;2 others saw it 1 from franklin TN and 1 from glenco Missouri.&nbsp;&nbsp;thats awesome that they were that far away and still saw it!!!!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball/fireball_log2008.html number 462 a,b,c&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by lhazc</DIV><br /><br />Ones that bright can be seen over a wide area. If you look at event #448, an Orionid fireball brighter than a full moon that I witnessed&nbsp;was seen from 2 places in Jersey,&nbsp;in Maryland and in southeastern Virginia. And that was at 4 o'clock in the morning (though it was the peak night of the Orionids, so on those mornings I am not alone in watching the sky as I am so many other times). You have to realize that such events take place 40-60 miles above the surface so can be seen from very far away! Thanx for reporting it..!!</p><p>MW</p><p>IMO, NAMN, AMS</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts