Meteorite Madness

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Sorry about the delay in messages. I am in UK - might account for it.

Just seen this:
"I have even found these I guess you can call them stones in it of a greyish green color and one-piece has a little gold of copper ball sticking out of it"

Have you read about the green pallasite?

Catastrophe

Just tell us if it looks anything like Pallasite.

Just checking - I have your analysis as:
Fe 40.080581
C 28.016885
O 24.565467
Si 4.9722896
Al 0.7547184
Mn 0.597386
P 0.3551852
Na 0.2015321
S 0.1730469
V 0.0568309
Cl 0.0497551
Ti 0.044513
Ni 0.0304291
K 0.0291747
Cr 0.0229835
Co 0.0203866
Cu 0.0108424

I can't see may magnesium Mg there. Is that correct?
Some Manganese Mn but no Mg

Of course there is a lot of variation, but here is one analysis:
silicon (Si), magnesium (Mg), iron (Fe), aluminum (Al), calcium (Ca), sodium (Na) ... minerals—pyroxenes, olivines, and feldspars—dominate the stony meteorites. ... Manganese. Mn. 9,168. Phosphorus. P. 8,373. Chlorine. Cl. 5,237. Potassium.

Last edited:
Sorry about the delay in messages. I am in UK - might account for it.

Just seen this:
"I have even found these I guess you can call them stones in it of a greyish green color and one-piece has a little gold of copper ball sticking out of it"

Have you read about the green pallasite?
im looking that up right now , the stones that have come out of it are a greenish grey glass

Just tell us if it looks anything like Pallasite.

Just checking - I have your analysis as:
Fe 40.080581
C 28.016885
O 24.565467
Si 4.9722896
Al 0.7547184
Mn 0.597386
P 0.3551852
Na 0.2015321
S 0.1730469
V 0.0568309
Cl 0.0497551
Ti 0.044513
Ni 0.0304291
K 0.0291747
Cr 0.0229835
Co 0.0203866
Cu 0.0108424

I can't see may magnesium Mg there. Is that correct?
Plenty of Manganese Mn but no Mg
okay give me a sec because I know that there was some of that in it to

Catastrophe

"A tiny fraction of meteorites on earth contain strikingly beautiful, translucent, olive-green crystals embedded in an iron-nickel matrix. Called pallasites, these "space gems" have fascinated scientists since they were first identified as originating from outer space more than 200 years ago.

The Esquel meteorite, consisting of iron-nickel and olivine, was discovered in central Argentina. (Photo by Arlene Schlazer.)"

This is why I am so interested for you.

This could be about four and a half billion years old.

Reactions: IG2007

Catastrophe

What I am trying to reconcile is the high carbon C with so high iron Fe and no magnesium Mg.
I like the green but is there any other metal showing (you mentioned the magnet) which would be more grey. Is there a lot of black showing?

Are you sure that C should not be Ca (calcium)?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. It's very difficult to get to the right people when the odds of finding a meteorite are so far from few and in between.
Here is another test result on a completely different piece that I took up to a University in San Bernadino . I was unannounced so the professor did me the favor and put the piece into a machine and ran it for only as long as it took him to get ready for his lecture. He was running late.

Mn 6364.2 680.2
Fe 972.6K 20.2K
Ni 947.1 257.5
Cu 494.4 154.1
Pb 106.0 63.7
U 85.4 32.2

Catastrophe

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. It's very difficult to get to the right people when the odds of finding a meteorite are so far from few and in between.
Here is another test result on a completely different piece that I took up to a University in San Bernadino . I was unannounced so the professor did me the favor and put the piece into a machine and ran it for only as long as it took him to get ready for his lecture. He was running late.

Mn 6364.2 680.2
Fe 972.6K 20.2K
Ni 947.1 257.5
Cu 494.4 154.1
Pb 106.0 63.7
U 85.4 32.2
Was that just a piece you gave him?
Not representative of the whole thing?
I mean I know it was a piece, but was it a different looking piece?

OK the first thing is the iron, just over 40%. Strange the nickel is so low.
Could be you have a stony iron which come roughly 50/50.
Si (silicon) looks very low for a stony, again suggesting you have a stony iron.
When you say large, does it weigh more than 1 lb?
Do you have a photo? Again, do you know how/when it was found?
yes it weighs more than one pound it weighs probably more than one ton

Catastrophe

"and no there isn't a lot of black on the very bottom towards the teardrop part of it there is blackish"
The teardrop part is the front as it came through the atmosphere. Makes sense there would be black there. But that C figure is way high.
The last analysis would make sense if it were iron nickel meteorite only but the first analysis suggests iron-nickel only about half,
You have to get a real expert on this - and don't sell it yet or sign anything. SORRY - you don't sound like you would sign anything.

An average chemist isn't going to make a lot of it. It just so happens I have been an asteroid fan for years. As you know, meteorites are thought to be broken asteroids, probably through collisions.
This is why you get the different types. Ordinary stony mets (meteorites) are from the outside of the asteroid and relatively common. Not so many are found because they look just like stones (which they are). Iron mets are from the asteroid core. Stony irons are rare because they are thought to come from the boundary between the outside of the asteroid and the core.
You may really have something there. You really have to get an expert opinion.
I don't know what is best in the USA. One starting place could be the guys who look out for asteroids. They will at least know whom to contact.
I'll try and get some info for you. And the WEIGHT, you really do not know what you might have there.

Here is what one of the scientists wrote and gave to me:

bried history for your reveiw

To Tanya Schexnayder

This Record is written to log events for scientific and historical purposes.

My name is Brian, I was contacted through a mutual friend for Tanya Schexnayder.
She had done research and testing and had concluded that she had a meteorite she is the sole owner of. Tanya has a very low nickel content in the meteorite metal. She noticed gems in the specimens that she had cut from the main 2-ton body. She also noticed that this was a self magnetizing metal. She also reported "hairs" on the surface growing from the metal. This was first relayed to me just before my daughter's birthday so about January 25th. She gifted my daughter a piece and I began my research.

Through a series of previous crossing subjects of research, I was exposed to nanomaterial science, along with superconductive theory which intersects the on the subjects of nanocrystalline materials and their theory. In short, they have been researched for their proposed superconductive properties highly desirable to my magnet piston engine.
That night Tanya and I agreed that it was a meteorite and that it contained diamond, and nanodiamond as were observed in my examination. But as my previous research had shown, the composition of the metal was a perfect candidate for a quasicrystal metal. What was also observed by myself was the unique five-sided metal structure, maybe 20.
The resolution was to low to see properly at that size. I advised her to get an XRay diffraction test to go about this property.
Over the course of examining different specimens taken from the meteorite, it became apparent that indeed there are hair-like fibers in the metal. They are clear, to blue-green tubal structures with bulbs on the end of some fibers. Some look caramelized- as if wilted by heat. They are found to run through the whole matrix of the metal. The research I have done indicates this may be a nano, or at least microfiber material may be perfect chemical precursors for carbon-based life. Given what is known about carbonaceous meteorites chemistry, and their suspected role in providing the amino acids needed just to start life they are likely linked. Maybe a form of proto life?

Catastrophe

"Its Metallic inside with pink blue green shining threw like a diamond"

Did you have a chance to look at Pallasite in Wiki?
I'd also like to know about that C = Ca? please.

BTW I was just looking at prices. A Campo del Cielo meteorite bit a couple of inches long is selling at £414 which is around $520.
You understand why I say take care. Don't give it away ;)

"Its Metallic inside with pink blue green shining threw like a diamond"

Did you have a chance to look at Pallasite in Wiki?
I'd also like to know about that C = Ca? please.

BTW I was just looking at prices. A Campo del Cielo meteorite bit a couple of inches long is selling at £414 which is around $520.
You understand why I say take care. Don't give it away ;)
Did you read all my replies? especially the on about for a reveiw

Catastrophe

Hopefully, this will give you a little bit of help in understanding what I'm trying to say
Yes. He noticed the low Ni but doesn't comment on Carbon. I see he is very into nano stuff. I mean that is all new and specific. Would he like to find life? And this nano / micro tube stuff - very interesting, but I am more interested in the meteorite as a meteorite. Anyway, I will keep looking for you. Probably some NASA information would be a good start. As I suggested, the asteroid alert people would at least know where to point you.

Latest posts