"Moon rock" in Dutch museum is really a piece of wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smersh

A treasured piece at the Dutch national museum - a supposed moon rock from the first manned lunar landing - is nothing more than petrified wood, curators say.

It was given to former Prime Minister Willem Drees during a goodwill tour by the three Apollo-11 astronauts shortly after their moon mission in 1969 ...

Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8226075.stm

Hmmm ... I suppose there are 3 possibilities here.

1. The original moon rock was stolen from the museum and replaced by the piece of wood, so nobody would notice it was missing.

2. NASA was running short of moon rocks, so thought they'd give the Dutch a piece of wood hoping they wouldn't notice.

3. The piece of wood was in fact found on the moon, brought back with all the other rocks and given to the Dutch before anyone at NASA noticed it was a piece of wood.

Does anyone else have any other theories? :twisted:

:?

S

Smersh

Yes Archer, that thought was at the back of my mind as well ... :(

A

a_lost_packet_

"Moon rock" in Dutch museum is really a piece of wood..

I'm gonna go load up on some bridge-owner licenses and head to the Netherlands.. Big business in bridges up there...

J

jim48

I must get new glasses. I'm still quite new to the computer abbrevitions. Very confusing often. Haters. Okay. I would very much like to see less abreviation and more plain language. Am I asking too much?

S

Smersh

mental_avenger":3vui1cbg said:
HBers = Hoax Believers

Yes. As I understand it the term was first coined by Phil Plait on his Bad Astronomy blog and thereafter became abbreviated to "HB." It refers to anyone who doubts the official account of the moon landings, such as the one that the good Mr Aldrin had a slight disagreement with once.

B

brandbll

I think there is still a little missing from this story before we can start to find out some real answers. First, what type of wood was it?

A

Archer17

jim48":vq9j5net said:
I must get new glasses. I'm still quite new to the computer abbrevitions. Very confusing often. Haters. Okay. I would very much like to see less abreviation and more plain language. Am I asking too much?

Sorry Jimbo, I assumed everyone knew what 'HBer' (Apollo Hoax Believer) meant. To spare you any potential confusion down the road - if you see me use the term 'Truthers' I'm describing the cone-heads that think we did 9/11 to ourselves. Outside of that you'll get the occasional 'IMO' or 'IIRC' (if I recall/remember correctly) from me but that's about it.

C

cosmictraveler

Makes me wonder what I've got embedded in my acrylic plastic cube now. I bought this supposedly moon rock on Ebay and now I'm just concerned that it might too just be a piece of the same tree! :?:

M

MasterComposter

I've got a barbeque full of meteorites if anyone would like to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts