Moon's orbital plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aphh

<p>Moon's orbital plane in relation to earth's equator varies, <br /><br />during summer months moon flies low over the horizon and gets higher during the winter months. However, the ISS always rises above the horizon the same amount regardless of earth's season.</p><p>I'm sure there is a simple answer to the fundamental difference, I just couldn't immediately figure out what it is.&nbsp;</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Moon's orbital plane in relation to earth's equator varies, during summer months moon flies low over the horizon and gets higher during the winter months. However, the ISS always rises above the horizon the same amount regardless of earth's season.I'm sure there is a simple answer to the fundamental difference, I just couldn't immediately figure out what it is.&nbsp; <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br /><br />Your terminiolgy is a bit mixed up on the first part. The plane of the moons orbit does not change. It's inclined about 5 degrees to the equator. This means it rises above and below the ecliptic.</p><p>You're way up north, so the ISS, in Low Earth Orbit barely reaches your latitude. that's close to the surface. From down here, the ISS comes from all angles passing low in the south, north and even overhead. Always moving generally west to east becaose the orbit is inclined 51.6 degrees in that direction.</p><p>The ecliptic (path of the planets sun and with an additional +/- 5 degrees, the moon) is highest in the sky in the daytime in summer when we are facing that way; that means it's lowest at night. In winter, we face the away from the sun direction in&nbsp; the daytime, therefore the ecliptic is highest at night. So the Moon and planets are highest in the winter, and lowest in the summer at night.</p><p>If you have a globe properly tilted at 23 1/2 degrees you can demonstrate it yourself....3D makes it much easier to visualize!</p><p>Wayne</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

aphh

<p>Thanks,</p><p>it's problematic to visualize in the head, because in May, or was it June, I watched the red moon nicely land below the horizon in the early morning hour.</p><p>In July, however, the early morning moon keeps climbing up.</p><p>I just need to get the globe or make a 3D rendering of the earth - moon system. I calculated the moon's orbital velocity to be roughly 985 m/s (using mean distance of 400 000 km).&nbsp;</p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks,it's problematic to visualize in the head, because in May, or was it June, I watched the red moon nicely land below the horizon in the early morning hour.In July, however, the early morning moon keeps climbing up.I just need to get the globe or make a 3D rendering of the earth - moon system. I calculated the moon's orbital velocity to be roughly 985 m/s (using mean distance of 400 000 km).&nbsp; <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br /><br />What's your latitude and Longitude? Maybe I can come up with something to help. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

aphh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What's your latitude and Longitude? Maybe I can come up with something to help. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>I'm at 60.1 N, 24.5 E.&nbsp;</p>

V

vogon13

<p>Thanx.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Locked and loaded.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>You may feel a slight tingle . . . .</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

A

aphh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanx.&nbsp;Locked and loaded.&nbsp;You may feel a slight tingle . . . .&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br /> Posted by vogon13</DIV></p><p>Your beam needs to have a radius of app. 18 500 metres to have any effect... the accuracy given is only 10 minutes.</p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Your beam needs to have a radius of app. 18 500 metres to have any effect... the accuracy given is only 10 minutes. <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br /><br />Don't worry, he's got a very wide beam :) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

aphh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Don't worry, he's got a very wide beam :) <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Actually, if I think it over, the beam needs to be an ellipse with a major axis of 10 * 1852 m and a minor axis of only roughly 10 * 900 m.</p><p>This is because if I give the coordinates with accuracy of 10 minutes, the diameter of the beam has to be 10 times the latitude minute. But because I'm above 60th latitude, the longitude minute is only roughly half, app. 900 metres, at this high up in the north.</p><p>It has to be diameter, not radius, because of rounding to the nearest ten minute.</p><p>Since I started reading this website, these kinds of thoughts now occur on daily basis. Maybe the university has something to do with it also, but I'm not sure.&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts