MRO RADIO RECEPTION

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CalliArcale

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>The US has some of the most liberal public document laws in the world. If you wanted them, I bet JPL would let you access the data tapes from Voyager/Apollo/etc. . <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />I know they've got CD-ROMs with the Voyager data on them. You do have to pay for them, but it's just to cover the costs of duplication (which, given the sheer volume of data, is not trivial). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

S

slidelock

Forthright? Did I miss the release of pictures from Deep Impact. They originally claimed they had that comet bore sighted then claimed the opposite. Either way, I still havent seen what they did or didn't get. It is precisely that attitude that has kept RCH in business for a quarter of a century. In my opinion, NASA personifies the definition of an elitist beauracracy. You would think they owned the data. I beg to differ.

T

telfrow

<font color="yellow">Did I miss the release of pictures from Deep Impact.</font><br /><br />Apparently. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

S

slidelock

Let me be clear, the pix I'm referring to are the ones post impact. The initial impact is all over the their website, but post impact was long promised after system download etc.<br />Despite saying that the mother ship was boresighted and would have great post impact pix, none were ever released. Still, maybe a specific request for such data post impact, might work. I have severe doubts about it tho.

S

spacechump

You mean this one?<br /><br />The plume stayed "aloft" longer then predicted, preventing a full-on image of the crater. The spacecraft imaged as long as it could before flying by the comet and going into a protective shield mode. After a half hour period, it pointed the cameras back toward the comet and capture the above image. That was the best they would get unfortunately.

S

slidelock

Thats an interesting explanation of why no more data was re leased. Has anybody done the time sequence calculations. How long after the impact did Mission control have to conclude the plume might be a problem, transmit a command to go into protective mode and have the vehicle respond?

S

spacechump

Actually it was part of the sequence. See here.<br /><br />The spacecraft only had 6 minutes of imaging after the impact before it has to shield itself because of the close-proximity flyby of the comet. 46 minutes later it was far enough away to safely turn back for post impact imaging.

C

CalliArcale

Basically, in deep space encounter scenarios there is almost never a chance to uplink new commands in the middle of a flyby. For one thing, most probes cannot collect image data and speak to Earth at the same time, apart from rare and happy coincidences of geometry. (Most have to slew the entire spacecraft to point their cameras, which inevitably pulls their high gain antenna away from Earth.) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

S

spacechump

Yep, usually. In this case it was the other way around. Deep Impact could send telemetry back but was shielding its cameras during the closest approach to the comet.<br /><br />Oh well. Hopefully this will happen to make up for not being able to view the crater.

T

telfrow

<i>That's</i> a great idea...the only problem is that we have to wait until 2010. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts