Name this mission...

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brandbll

<p>I'm trying to recall the name of an Earth impactor(?) that just had a brief picture story done about it in the recent Discovery magazine.&nbsp; The goal was to test whether certain microbes or bacteria aboard a simulated impactor could survive re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere.&nbsp; The story i read only had brief details and i'd like to learn more about this project but i can't find the magazine and i can't recall the name of the project.</p><p>It was sort of a coincidence that i ran across the article because i had just finished the book, <em>Breaking Point</em>, by Dan Brown which is sort of relates to teh subject.&nbsp; I'm not a huge Dan Brown fan but i wont go into details incase anyone is interested in reading the book for themselves.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="3">You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!</font></p> </div>

B

brandbll

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I'm trying to recall the name of an Earth impactor(?) that just had a brief picture story done about it in the recent Discovery magazine.&nbsp; The goal was to test whether certain microbes or bacteria aboard a simulated impactor could survive re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere.&nbsp; The story i read only had brief details and i'd like to learn more about this project but i can't find the magazine and i can't recall the name of the project.It was sort of a coincidence that i ran across the article because i had just finished the book, Breaking Point, by Dan Brown which is sort of relates to teh subject.&nbsp; I'm not a huge Dan Brown fan but i wont go into details incase anyone is interested in reading the book for themselves. <br />Posted by brandbll</DIV></p><p>Bump!&nbsp; No one knows the name of this project?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="3">You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!</font></p> </div>

B

brandbll

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Bump!&nbsp; No one knows the name of this project? <br />Posted by brandbll</DIV><br /><br />Ok i think i got it!&nbsp; My mom dug up the Popular Science issue that she was going to send to my brother and it was in there(the most recent one).&nbsp; I think the capsule was called Photon M-4.&nbsp; However, i can't find anything about it on the internet.&nbsp; Anyone know what's up with that?&nbsp; Is there some other name for the project?&nbsp; After reading more i think it was a Russian project.&nbsp; It landed in Kazakhastan, so that might be an indicator.&nbsp; Plus when i try and google it i get a bunch of russian sites. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="3">You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!</font></p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Ok i think i got it!&nbsp; My mom dug up the Popular Science issue that she was going to send to my brother and it was in there(the most recent one).&nbsp; I think the capsule was called Photon M-4.&nbsp; However, i can't find anything about it on the internet.&nbsp; Anyone know what's up with that?&nbsp; Is there some other name for the project?&nbsp; After reading more i think it was a Russian project.&nbsp; It landed in Kazakhastan, so that might be an indicator.&nbsp; Plus when i try and google it i get a bunch of russian sites. <br /> Posted by brandbll</DIV></p><p>Well, that does sound like a Russian spacecraft.&nbsp; They had a whole series called Photon/Foton (transliterations vary).&nbsp; They had reentry modules on at least some of them; maybe all of them.&nbsp; I'm not sure.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

Re-entry experiments <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

B

brandbll

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Re-entry experiments <br />Posted by derekmcd</DIV><br /><br />Wow, thanks for the link.&nbsp; I was beginning to lose hope that i'd ever figure this out. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="3">You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!</font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

I've got a 9th degree red belt in Google Jiu Jitsu. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.