naming exoplanets

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

filip34

I would like to know, when an exoplanet is found, when it is officially named, for example HD 209458b,when will it be named Osiris?

A

arobie

I was just thinking about that! I figured we would give it a regular name as soon as it is of interest to us through use: scientific, commercial, or residential. But thats just what I guessed while I was bored before I fell asleep last night. Then I went on to wonder if we had enough words in all out languages to name every star and planet in our galaxy alone.

T

tom_hobbes

What if the residents object to the new name? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#339966"> I wish I could remember<br /> But my selective memory<br /> Won't let me</font><font size="2" color="#99cc00"> </font><font size="3" color="#339966"><font size="2">- </font></font><font size="1" color="#339966">Mark Oliver Everett</font></p><p> </p> </div>

M

mooware

<font color="yellow">"What if the residents object to the new name?</font><br /><br />What a silly question. We give 'em 30 days to comply, otherwise we nuke 'em of course. How dare they not conform to our wishes. <br /><br /><br /><br />

A

alokmohan

They are toofar .How you can nuke them .They may throw largejupters at us and then we are finished.

M

mooware

How dare they even think about throwing things at us after we told them how it's going to be. Who do they thnk they are, being all independant and stuff. <br /><br />Darn Aliens, ya can't take 'em anywhere<br /><br />

S

Saiph

Drats, I just realized you were talking about exoplanets, not things like Sedna or Quoaur.<br /><br />If you were, I'd say forget nuking them, just whack some planet with them. Same goes for any asteroid dwellers. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

I

igorsboss

Allow the residents the dignity of naming their own planet.<br /><br />However, when we realize that we can't pronounce the name, we can simply change the name to our liking.<br /><br />Trouble is, most of them will be named "Fred's Planet"....<br /><br />Its the "Ellis Island" naming model.

T

tom_hobbes

It's the planet of Fred. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#339966"> I wish I could remember<br /> But my selective memory<br /> Won't let me</font><font size="2" color="#99cc00"> </font><font size="3" color="#339966"><font size="2">- </font></font><font size="1" color="#339966">Mark Oliver Everett</font></p><p> </p> </div>

M

mooware

<font color="yellow">"Allow the residents the dignity of naming their own planet. "</font><br /><br />I suppose, but i was kinda looking forward to Conquering them . Oh well...<br /><br />Hey, what will we do if they've named our planet something different?<br /><br /><br />

T

thalion

I've written to the IAU about naming exoplanets before, and they were rather dismissive of the idea, stating that it was not in their "charter".<br /><br />That said, my feelings on the subject have changed since then; I don't think naming them is practical. We have our hands full with historical and mythological names in the Solar System already, and extending these to planets around other stars would just make things much more complicated, and lead to accusations of cultural arrogance, among other things. If we wouldn't bother giving cool names to the millions of stars sitting around in various catalogs, we shouldn't bother with giving specific names to exoplanets. That said, I'm all for unofficial names that can be bandied about for fun or emphasis, like "Osiris" for HD 209458 b, or "Bellerophon" for 51 Pegasi b, etc.<br /><br />Add to that the fact that we really don't know how many of the exoplanets we've discovered so far are really planets, and which are actually brown dwarfs or binary stars in nearly pole-on orbits that mimic planets. Those answers are forthcoming, but won't be solid for another 10 years at least, I think.

A

arobie

To all:<br /><br />If you were to name a planet, what would you call it? What names would be good for planets?

A

arobie

I figure that a planet will have an official name, the alphanumeric name, but I'm sure the citizens will have a nickname for their planet.<br /><br />I know that if i were a citizen in the future on another planet, I would call it something other than its official name. I would definitely nickname it if someone hasn't already. I would probably make up a new word or something for its name.

R

redracer02

We do need a different name for our planet. I mean, what are other the aliens going to do when we tell them where we come from. <br /><br />Us- "We come from earth."<br /><br />Aliens - "HAHAHAHAHAHA, earth, what a silly name."<br /><br />Of course Terra sounds better, but it is still just Latin for Earth.<br /><br /><br />The Battletech universe and the Star Wars universe both have a lot of good names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts