Nanotechnology - answer to all problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PiotrSatan

So, I read one of responses in SETI thread, and according to this self-replicating nanotechnology is illegal because it is out of control. I don't know what's nanotechnology and I'd like someone to explain it to me in this thread, but I want to ask something else. What if we had some nanoparticles of Cu(or other resource), and modify it's rate of growth (if it is possible) to be reaaal slow, would we have to worry about it's shortage then? I mean it would keep making itself, wouldn't it?

O

origin

PiotrSatan":3s1sgb0b said:
So, I read one of responses in SETI thread, and according to this self-replicating nanotechnology is illegal because it is out of control.

I think that person must have confused those little robot bug thingies on the Stargate TV show with reality.

I don't know what's nanotechnology and I'd like someone to explain it to me in this thread,

It is simply devices or materials devolepment that are 100 nm or less in size.

but I want to ask something else. What if we had some nanoparticles of Cu(or other resource), and modify it's rate of growth (if it is possible) to be reaaal slow, would we have to worry about it's shortage then? I mean it would keep making itself, wouldn't it?

Making elements is not a trivial undertaking and clearly nanotechnology that makes elements through fusion or fission (or any other method) would be science fiction at this point.

S

Shpaget

The idea of self replicating nanobots (very tiny robots) is not to create matter from nothing, but to use resources around it to build an exact copy of itself. You can't produce matter out of nothing.

The fear of self replicating nanobots lies in the possibility that with each replication there could be an error which could stack and in short while you end up with robots that are not programmed as you intended.

R

R1

Here is a fascinating video made for the European Commission, as I understand it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCpkq_AeX50[/youtube]

E

emperor_of_localgroup

R1":35p43fwi said:
Here is a fascinating video made for the European Commission, as I understand it.

[youtube][/youtube]

Very good R1.
I was always interested in nano tech as an engineer, this video has just motivated me to go deeper into the field. But I'm afraid nano tech requires expensive equipment. I'm not sure if nano tubes are commercially available.

Another interesting thought came to me while watching the video, it says certain structures regenerate themselves on nano level, or self-replicating structures. Doesn't it also point to 'origin of life', which we currently explain as 'accident' or 'probability', etc.? I always felt uncomfortable with 'accidental life' explanation.

I can see nano tech can completely change us!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts