NASA and Facilities etc. in major natural disaster areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shuttle_rtf

With JSC now evacing due to Rita. MAF having been releatively lucky with Katrina. KSC in the line of potential Hurricane trouble. JPL on a major fault line etc...............was there any other option but to place major NASA facilities in these at risk areas?

C

CalliArcale

Well, every area has its risks. In the end, they need to place facilities where there is enough population to support them. Spread out as they are, you wouldn't expect more than one to get socked in a season. This is an unusual year. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

R

radarredux

I was thinking about this today (2 years, four major NASA facilities) and wondered if God hated NASA. Maybe she sees the VSE as the Tower of Babel 2.0. If everyone starting speaking in strange languages...

K

kane007

What about outside Denver, Colorado? Or somewhere in New Mexico, Nevada, or Arizona.<br /><br />Wasn't Montana chosen for the ICBM basses because of its relatively benign geophysical environment?<br /><br /><font color="red">DO NO HARM</font><br /><br />

S

shuttle_rtf

Crikey! Really hope the evac is going to plan.<br /><br />To get my bearings with that presentation, where am I looking for the area JSC is in?<br /><br />Sad thing is some of the MAF guys relocated to JSC and now seem to have these things follow them around.

S

shuttle_rtf

>In one of the later slides JSC is identified. It gets flooded.<<br /><br />Ah yes, in red lettering. Thanks.

R

rfoshaug

Well, KSC couldn't be placed elsewhere, due to the requirements of a spaceport (as far south as possible and on an east cost so you can launch over non-populated areas).<br /><br />But the reason for the location of other facilities are of course a good question. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff9900">----------------------------------</font></p><p><font color="#ff9900">My minds have many opinions</font></p> </div>

R

remekr

"<i>the placement of JSC was purely political. Johnson wanted something for his home state.</i>"<br /><br />That's true. I think JSC was the only center not already established by the early 60's. You'd think they could have picked a bit better location not so vulnerable to hurricane winds and flooding, though.<br />

R

radarredux

> <i><font color="yellow">The storm is so dangerious that the JSC management tolad the ride out crew to get out as well.</font>/i><br /><br />How well would the ISS operate without 24x7 ground support?<br /><br />For this incident, control has been handed over to Russia, but what if that wasn't an option? Could ISS run fine by itself for several days or a few weeks without JSC?</i>

Status
Not open for further replies.