NASA: Kennedy Prepares to Host Constellation

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Reality check: it's using only 4 segments of the 5 Ares I needs with a dummy 2nd stage and dummy capsule. Not to say they won't get <i>some</i> data from it, but IMO this one is mostly a media event to elicit a positive news week/month for NASA. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

Four segments and dummy 2nd stage not with standing, this is a critical first step in testing the flight hardware and associated systems. A lot more than a mere media event as you so belittlingly term it. of course, if this were some altspace start up it would be celebrated as if it were the 2nd coming.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

jimfromnsf

It is a waste. There are really no systems to test. The avionics are from Atlas V.<br /><br />It is just a PR event . It will be the world's largest model rocket launch. The data it provides is marginal at best and is certainly not worth the $400- 500 million for it

D

docm

Jim,<br /><br />Will it be using the new 5 seg propellant grain or will it just be a standard 4 seg STS propellant grain? If the later that's another nail in the coffin. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rfoshaug

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>If this were some altspace start up it would be celebrated as if it were the 2nd coming.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />Well said, JonClarke! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff9900">----------------------------------</font></p><p><font color="#ff9900">My minds have many opinions</font></p> </div>

V

vulture2

It may at least provide some data on the vibration problem, or are the dynamics too different? In any case entertaining the public is a large part of the NASA mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.