NASA selects in-line SDLV

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ronatu

I would like to return to original topic and upload Moon Rocket pictures...

S

soccerguy789

good pic, not much new info, but it gives a good feel for size.

S

SpaceKiwi

Not wishing to nit-pick but the latter two vehicles are not based on current proposals are they, and are Alliant's suggestions? The single stick/CRV launcher would be taller to allow for the 5 -segment SRB, and the Heavy Lifter would have an ET-diametered core section. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

C

crix

This is the nth time I've seen the Shuttle-C in pictures referred to as "future shuttle." What's up with that? We wouldn't build shuttle-c as a temporary craft to hold us over until the inline would we?

R

radarredux

> <i><font color="yellow">We wouldn't build shuttle-c as a temporary craft to hold us over until the inline would we?</font>/i><br /><br />I doubt NASA would have the budget to build two HLVs.</i>

G

gunsandrockets

"I doubt NASA would have the budget to build two HLVs. "<br /><br />NASA doesn't seem to have enough money to even develop one HLV.

G

gofer

Neither does it seem that NASA has enough money to develop one CLV based on an SRB, or a CEV based on the Apollo CSM, or just an engineering study, come to think of it. The latest leaked slides look just like a grand morass of wishful thinking and extrapolation of non-existent tangibles. (and thats at $16bil a year, 70% of the world's space tech. spending)

G

gofer

Okay, I should clarify this a bit. The SRB as it currently exists is a side booster of the STS system. The thing derived from it which is to fly in 2011-12 is a brand new launcher thing with a new upper stage and a load of unknowns (safety, thrust control, reliability, operational costs, what have you) CLV != SRB The CEV is even more "God knows what that is" A direct reproduction of the Apollo’s CSM? No. (even if we could those very clever folks are either dead or retired) It's supposed to be reusable and be capable of going to ISS, the Moon, Mars, "and beyond"

P

publiusr

I wonder where Bill Eoff is. He was the father of Magnum (Longfellow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS