NASA's Juno probe captures amazing views of Jupiter's volcanic moon Io (video)

Apr 20, 2024
Visit site
NASA's Juno probe continues to give us more insight into Jupiter and the giant planet's moons, including Io, the most volcanically active object in the solar system.

NASA's Juno probe captures amazing views of Jupiter's volcanic moon Io (video) : Read more
The penultimate paragraph does not seem to make much sense in its current form. Why would Juno’s principal investigator Bolton compare “the water abundance near Jupiter's equator” with its abundance on the Sun, where, as I recall, water does not exist at all? Without taking the time to confirm my understanding by undertaking factual research, I would rather take the lazy shortcut of speculating that perhaps the word “solar” might be a typo, as the comparison would make more sense if the word were instead “polar,” unless I do not understand the comparison of something – water? – to hydrogen – in what unspecified location(s)?

Is my speculation mistaken? If so, perhaps the author or editors would be so kind as to clarify what Bolton – as quoted – was trying to communicate, or what he actually stated.

Last edited:

Water on the Sun is a new on me. This article explains that they got water vapor spectra out of sunspots back in 1997. It seems it is important in mediating energy transport through its absorption of infra red.

A sunspot can be as cool as 3000°C. At that temperature, "more than half*" of water molecules are disassociated into their elements. This means that water vapor is going to be present if there is much oxygen around. Sun is about 1% oxygen.

*Wiki, no source given.