Neil Armstrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Channel_Zer0

Will Neil come out of reclusion and do anything for the 40th anniversary? Given that now he seems to shy away from the camera, (Sadly was not featured in the stunning, “In the shadow of the moon”), and given that his museum in Ohio is closing. Will we see him?

S

seth_381

I don't know but I really don't understand why he doesn't want to be in public celebrating his accomplishment/privilege. Although there's always Buzz who punches out little geeks.

R

Rocket_Nut

Have you guys seen the video of Buzz singing "Rocket Experience" with Snoop Dog and Talib Kweli?

S

SilverDart

He's not a total recluse. Armstrong usually makes an effort to attend major milestone commemorations, like the 35th, 30th, 25th, etc. As for the film, In the Shadow of the Moon, in a September 2007 interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, the director, David Sington, stated:
Everyone said to us: “Just keep on going, eventually you’ll wear him down and he’ll say yes.” Firstly, the man has an absolute right to decline or accept whatever interviews he wants. Secondly, I rather respect his decision to be reticent about the whole business, because I think in some ways he’s helped to preserve the mystique and the mystery of what he’s done. If he popped up everywhere talking about “one small step for man,” I think the whole thing could become devalued.

For more on the interview, check out http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/moon.html

C

CalliArcale

seth_381":1xo4a5lk said:
I don't know but I really don't understand why he doesn't want to be in public celebrating his accomplishment/privilege. Although there's always Buzz who punches out little geeks.

Actually, Bart Sibrel isn't a little geek. He's a big portly gentleman, quite a bit taller and more intimidating than Aldrin. Not that he scared Aldrin. ;-) (Though reportedly, Aldrin was a bit concerned about this big, menacing guy with his attractive daughter nearby, and reacted with a father's instinct to remove the physical threat.)

J

JonClarke

seth_381":56ybi747 said:

Why? Because he is not like you. Neil was always extremely reserved and very reticent. Why should this change just because we was the first on the Moon?

Neil has always said that it was not his achievement, but those of everyone and does not see why he should receive special recognition. In addition to that I suspect he always recongised that being the first was not due to any special accomplishment on his part - other than being an astronaut - but the accident of the rotation and the fact that nothing went wrong on his flight or Apollo 10 than would have pushed the first landing back to Apollo 12 or even 13.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts