New Bottom Dwelling Pop Up Ads

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi Wayne,

I can shut it off straight away, but sometimes if I change screens on here, it returns & then having to keep shutting it down. It is a pain.

Andrew.

M

Mee_n_Mac

MeteorWayne":2ov74frc said:
One of the more annoying aspects is that if you accidently roll across the bottom feeder ad, it starts a countdown until it expands and greys out the rest of the screen in a few seconds. Sometimes I have to click the "close" button 3 times to get the sucker to actually close...

%$%^&*)))&&$%%^##@@!#$%$ :)

And to add to that ... I've noticed that clicking on the "X" to close the ad doesn't work. You have to mouse over the "X", wait until it expands to say "close" and then click on the close. Clicking directly on the "X" w/o waiting brings up the above.

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, the ads have gone from being just annoying, to being damn annoying. I clicked on the "close" 5 times with no effect, it still expanded anyway, greyed out the screen, then locked up my computer. I had to reboot.

This is not good PR, dh!!!

I'm making a list and checking it twice, of companies that I know are not nice....

D

doublehelix

What exactly is this ad for? I haven't seen it, seems to be. Note: management does not warn me always about ad campaigns in the forums before they are placed here. I've inquired about this and have asked that I be at least given a heads up about ads to be displayed in the forums, before they show up.

Having to click multiple times to get an ad to close sounds unreasonable. I'll check with dev to see what up and ask for the ad to be looked into.

Would love to be able to do more but my hands are tied to an extent. :(

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

It's not a single advertiser, it's multiple ones. It's the new popup at the the bottom of the page that is causing the problem. A number of them have countdowns, where if you don't close it fast enough (which sometimes multiple clicks on the "X" box fail to do) it expands, and grays out the SDC page behind it.

I'll make a list of advertisers, they are the ones on my "I'll never do business with them" list :)

Febreeze...
Dove...
Sour Patch Kids (2 clicks to close)
Gucci
Pur
Chrome
Chase

S

silylene

MeteorWayne":1qvrz102 said:
It's not a single advertiser, it's multiple ones. It's the new popup at the the bottom of the page that is causing the problem. A number of them have countdowns, where if you don't close it fast enough (which sometimes multiple clicks on the "X" box fail to do) it expands, and grays out the SDC page behind it.

I'll make a list of advertisers, they are the ones on my "I'll never do business with them" list :)

Exactly. the Bottom dwelling scrolling popup seems to be a new 'feature' programmed into the forum software. Probably the advertiser pays extra to get 'featured' in this particularly annoying advert. I am sure SDC likes the extra revenues they can get from this, which is why they refuse to remove the new 'feature'.

Yes, let's make a list of companies that advertise this way, and boycott them.

Chase Bank

A

adrenalynn

As I've noted - I'm not generally anti-advertising, but there have been a couple new pushes here that have gotten silly, this latest at the bottom being the worst of the worst, absolute obnoxiousness.

I spent a fair bit of time eliminating it from my SDC experience. And, given that I was already annoyed, I just went ahead and whacked the rest of them too.

From the PTB perspective, it had a substantially net-negative effect. Now instead of just one more ad delivered to me, they're at least -6 to -8 ads delivered to me for each page load in comparison to what they were. It became the proverbial "last straw". When it's gone, I'll at least return the top two bars.

A

adrenalynn

On a 7" netbook, the site was totally unusable with the density of ads, especially with that bottom-dweller.

A

adrenalynn

Parsing a large flatfile in winders for every DNS request does tend to get slow.

You can add just individual domain names and save the load. I have the domain name for the bottom dweller that you can add to your hosts file - but I'm not sure posting it here is terribly cool.

O

orionrider

The flatfile is only parsed at startup then held in a memory map: quick and clean. You have to reboot for each change to be taken into account.

A

adrenalynn

Actually, regardless of where it's held (it's actually in the DNS cache), its still flat, and a compare for every line still has to be done for each and every name resolution. There's no intelligent sort going on. I've tried building windows etc/hosts files for nuking pron for friend's kids machines and once they grow past a large enough size, you might as well dig out the 2400 baud modem...

S

silylene

At the size it is now, it is still seems faster to parse it then to call up a slow-to-load pop-up ad. Adrenalyn, what is the domain name for the bottom dweller?.....

M

MeteorWayne

I haven't seen one in a few days...

{This is a test...if they still exist, this sure should get one to show up :) }

A

adrenalynn

You've got pm, Silylene, with a full dump for everything.

Thought I would just mention that I have not had any bottom dwelling ads now for a few days. The main one I had was for Google Chrome. Seems to have ended.

Andrew Brown.

M

MeteorWayne

Yep...

The good thing is they do close quickly when you click on the "X"

:roll:

A

abq_farside

When I click on the x, it does not close and instead starts the countdown on when it will expand! :x

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, they have graduated into the Damn Annoying category. If my WiFi has a 3 second glitch when I try and close it, the ad counts down and opens, blasting loud audio into my home. I hope they die. Every one of them goes onto my "I will never give business to these slimeballs" list, which I will update shortly.

For a new user, I would run away from the forums and never come back, but I have a lot of effort invested here, and I think it's a useful place, so I'll just ***** about it.

User Wayne

M

Mee_n_Mac

abq_farside":wrdaxnms said:
When I click on the x, it does not close and instead starts the countdown on when it will expand! :x

Yup. What I have to do is hover over the "X" and wait until it expands and displays the "close" button. Then move the cursor and click on the "close". More than Damn Annoying IMO. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts