New concept to save earth from NEOs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrianSlee

<p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">One of the things that maintains my interest over time, is how to survive planet killers discovered on short notice i.e. anywhere from a few months to a few years. <span>&nbsp;</span>We have numerous ideas in the hat, ranging from gravity tractors to strap on rockets to nukes. While pondering the problem this morning I had an idea that I think is plausible. <span>&nbsp;</span>Why not use the offending NEO&rsquo;s inertia against itself. I.E. instead of trying to get the fuel or a system large enough to move it all the way to the NEO in order to change its trajectory why not lay down a trail of small particles that will impact only one side of it. <span>&nbsp;</span>It seems to me that a nuclear powered steam rocket would be ideal for this purpose.<span>&nbsp; </span>I have not heard of any concepts that use this philosophy. <span>&nbsp;</span>Are there any ideas out there that would fall in to this category?<span>&nbsp; </span>If not, what are the technical considerations?<span>&nbsp; </span></font></font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">I will start </font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;text-indent:-0.25in;margin-right:0in;tab-stops:list.25in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman"><span><span><font size="3">1.</font><span style="font:7pt'TimesNewRoman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span><font size="3">The precision of orbital measurements that would enable precise placement of particles (in this case it would be ice crystals formed by the ejecta of the engine)</font></span></font></p><p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;text-indent:-0.25in;margin-right:0in;tab-stops:list.25in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman"><span><span><font size="3">2.</font><span style="font:7pt'TimesNewRoman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span><font size="3">How to determine the mass of the NEO to ensure the particles are within the required corridor as deflection occurs</font></span></font></p><p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;text-indent:-0.25in;margin-right:0in;tab-stops:list.25in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman"><span><span><font size="3">3.</font><span style="font:7pt'TimesNewRoman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span><font size="3">maintaing the integrity of the exhaust stream over time </font></span></font></p><p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;text-indent:-0.25in;margin-right:0in;tab-stops:list.25in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman"><span><span><font size="3">4.</font><span style="font:7pt'TimesNewRoman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span><font size="3">maintaing the position of the exhaust stream over time.</font></span></font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">The link below is to a paper that discusses the mechanics of current ideas.</font></p><p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">http://www.aoe.vt.edu/~cdhall/papers/neopaper.pdf</font></p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>"I am therefore I think" </p><p>"The only thing "I HAVE TO DO!!" is die, in everything else I have freewill" Brian P. Slee</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts