New Craters on the Moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

One concern that scientists quote about sending humans to the moon or Mars for that matter is that of asteroid and comet strikes.

Is any agency comparing old and new photos of the moon to determine whether any new craters have appeared in the 50 years since we have been imaging it's surface?

M

MeteorWayne

I'm sure such comparisons are being made, but the moon hasn't been under high resolution survaillence for that long..really only a year or so, and only the last few months (since MRO) at resolution comparable to what we have on Mars. On Mars (with it's much greater surface area than the moon) more than half a dozen new craters have been found, but as would be expected, all relatively small (tens of meter sized).
Only a very large (hundreds of meter sized) sould have been compared with previous images except in a few select areas.

N

nimbus

There was a blurb on a major site (space.com or newscientist or discovery news) about something like this. I unfortunately can't recall any more specifics.
Quick google led to this.. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.icarus.2006.05.002 That might've been it. The 2006 publish date would match the aprox time I read the general public news byte.

S

Smersh

If I remember correctly, it's thought that once all the old lunar photos from the 1960s and 1970s are restored in the McDonalds (!) comparisons could be made between the old photos and the latest LRO etc ones, to see what features (ie craters) have changed on the moon in 50 odd years.

K

kg

Smersh":3p4889p7 said:
If I remember correctly, it's thought that once all the old lunar photos from the 1960s and 1970s are restored in the McDonalds (!) comparisons could be made between the old photos and the latest LRO etc ones, to see what features (ie craters) have changed on the moon in 50 odd years.

http://www.moonviews.com/
Yes, a McDonalds! These folks are very, very cool. I can't understand why all this data has been sitting around gathering dust all this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts