New to this...what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guinnivere1

Hi. Having received Spaceweather alerts for about a year now, we finally decided to pick up an inexpensive telescope. We needed one we could transport on our weekend trips and set up easily, and we got a little 90mm Matsukov-Cassegrain. Tonight we were trying to look at Saturn for the first time, and what we saw appeared to be a dark circle with a white aura around it, with a small break near the bottom. Nothing like the pictures I've seen of Saturn through even small backyard telescopes. Then we turned to look at the bright spot in the western sky and saw the same effect, only brighter. Somehow that just doesn't seem right. What am I doing wrong?

B

billslugg

You are either way out of focus or way ot of collimation. Can you use the scope during the day and see the scenery OK? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

G

guinnivere1

Yes, I can see scenery ok. One of the reasons I got this one is I was told I could see both. I've messed with the focus to no avail. What's collimation? Sorry to be so ignorant, thanks for your patience!

H

heyscottie

Can you give a little more info about your scope? What is its focal length? And what lens are you using? You may be using a magnification that is way out of whack...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts