Newtonian reflector or Cassegrain for first "real" scope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kdog72

Well, my wifey got me the cheap Celestron 65mm 30-90x Mak-Cassie for Christmas and it actually is pretty decent! I set it up last night to look at the moon and quite impressed. Its a cheap scope alright but I could really see the craters on the day/night terminator beautifully. Could see the jagged ridgelines of the crater edges. Even when I zoomed to 90x... The focus is really sloppy on it, and takes a while to get right but when it gets set, the view is pretty "OK". <br /><br />But of course I want a real telescope. I've seen the guides that are stickied at the top of the forum and I will read through them when I have the time. <br /><br />Anyway, some people here suggested I pick up the 6" Dob that Orion sells, and I'm seriously looking into it. But they also sell some nice 90mm and 102mm Cassies' that - with the right eyepieces - could achieve as high or nearly as high magnification as the big ol' newtonian Dobs and EQs'. See what I'm getting at? And also theres' the whole "inverted image" thing with the reflectors as well. If I were to get either one, what eyepieces should I get to achieve the higher magnifications? 7.5mm? 2x Shorty Barlow? BOTH? <br /><br />I've seen this Celestron Mak-Cass C90 at opticsplanet and it accepts the 1.26" eyepieces which would be a HUGE improvement over the fixed eyepiece on the C65. <br />http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-c90-mak-spotting-scope.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts