No 'Space Jump': How David Blaine's 'Ascension' compares to other balloon dives

Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
Did they say what the plan was for the balloons afterwards? Were they able to pop them, follow them to pick them up? Or were they just left to land somewhere, like the ocean where we already have an issue with trash and balloons killing wildlife?

Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
Did they say what the plan was for the balloons afterwards? Were they able to pop them, follow them to pick them up? Or were they just left to land somewhere, like the ocean where we already have an issue with trash and balloons killing wildlife?

While I share your concerns with the amount of water pollution this doesn't register on the scale of problems.

Besides I'm certain the assembly holding the balloons has a GPS tracker.

Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
This doesn't register on the scale of problems ?!

We aren't talking about one small child's party balloon - which is enough to kill one sea turtle. What did this stunt accomplish beyond allowing one man to fulfill a childhood dream? It wasn't a record-breaking stunt and it wasn't scientifically significant. So it would be incredibly selfish and environmentally irresponsible to completely ignore the impacts this one stunt can have upon the planet that billions of us share. Imagine if a lot more people pulled these stunts and left their trash everywhere - the beautiful scenery he got to witness would be destroyed!

I really do hope they had more respect for our planet and that they cared about all the equipment enough to track and retrieve it!

Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
This doesn't register on the scale of problems ?!

We aren't talking about one small child's party balloon - which is enough to kill one sea turtle. What did this stunt accomplish beyond allowing one man to fulfill a childhood dream? It wasn't a record-breaking stunt and it wasn't scientifically significant. So it would be incredibly selfish and environmentally irresponsible to completely ignore the impacts this one stunt can have upon the planet that billions of us share. Imagine if a lot more people pulled these stunts and left their trash everywhere - the beautiful scenery he got to witness would be destroyed!

I really do hope they had more respect for our planet and that they cared about all the equipment enough to track and retrieve it!

When there are entire islands of trash floating in the ocean these balloons indeed don't register on the global scale of problems. I agree with your sentiment and believe everything matters but I'm talking about billions of tons of plastic, rubber, and other non-biodegradeable trash. Trust me I love the ocean and live a few miles from it, when I visit the beach I only leave footprints.

I also have nothing good to say about Blaine or the stunts he pulls other than they are exceptionally planned which is why I feel the recovery of these balloons was considered.

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
While Blaine did not come close to setting an absolute balloon altitude record, he does appear to have broken the cluster balloon record, which was previously 21,194 feet. Perhaps this is worth at least a mention in the article?

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
For everyone asking, I watched the entire live stream and they mentioned their plan to get the balloons back. Not only was there a gps in the balloon rig, but they also had it set up to be remote controlled so that they could get it back easily after the stunt was over (also so that they could get David Blaine back down if he passed out up there). So don't worry, they weren't going to let the balloons just go. They planned this all extensively.

Sep 20, 2020
Visit site
So did you bother researching what there plan was before riding on over here on your high horse of morality to complain.The height you look down on must be much higher one then this trick. But anyway rich western countries been polluting for how many decades now.? And still with no plans or will to change it. (Never gonna happen) Yet you find the time to complain about a man and his balloons.

Latest posts