Nuclear rockets could travel to Mars in half the time − but designing the reactors that would power them isn't easy

It would be a lot easier if they just went ahead and used highly enriched uranium for the reactor. These reactors are not going to be used where they could be stolen by non-nuclear states so that they could lead to "proliferation" of atomic weapons in currently non-nuclear countries.

And, anyway, the countries like North Korea and Iran are developing nuclear weapons anyway, as did India and Pakistan.

So, I do not see any realistic reason to not use the best possible materials for space exploration vehicles. We aren't going to return these thing to Earth's surface once they have gone critical and produced power and radioactive byproducts.

It would be a lot easier if they just went ahead and used highly enriched uranium for the reactor. These reactors are not going to be used where they could be stolen by non-nuclear states so that they could lead to "proliferation" of atomic weapons in currently non-nuclear countries.

And, anyway, the countries like North Korea and Iran are developing nuclear weapons anyway, as did India and Pakistan.

So, I do not see any realistic reason to not use the best possible materials for space exploration vehicles. We aren't going to return these thing to Earth's surface once they have gone critical and produced power and radioactive byproducts.
Your argument has a lot of merit. I believe the HALEU fuel being considered has about 20% U235 enrichment.

Latest posts