Obscure scifi questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wmdragon

Has anybody read Frederick Pohl's <i>A Plague of Pythons</i> AND <i>Demon in the Skull</i>? they are actually the same story, but rewritten a couple of decades apart. I read one version - forget which - and have always wondered how different they really are.<br /><br />Ditto for HG Wells's <i>Time Machine</i> [this is a copy/paste from another thread]: I found out I have two different versions at home. the only difference I found was the final scene, his jumping into the far far future after the Eloi/Morloch stop. one version has more weird creature encounters than the other. wonder if there are any other differences. anybody know about this factoid? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

V

vogon13

IIRC Clarke did this with City and the Stars and..... darn if I can remeber title of rewrite. Seems like early draft of Nightfall was found in Asimov's files after he passed, too. Does anyone have the staight skinny on these and other mysteries? Crappy getting old, can't remember stuff any more. Kind of interesting to have two versions of something from same creative mind. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

V

vogon13

Against the Fall of Night <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

H

hracctsold

I read a book called Time Machine II, where it's character was the son of the Traveler, and was born in WW2 England, and grew up to find his father's true plans for a machine in the '70's, build his own version of the time machine, travel to the future, interact with his father and mother as a friend, and travel to the far future, interact with his father in that far future, have his father attempt to bring his pregnant mother back to 1900, and get derailed by a bliz attack on London, and be born there before a bomb kills both of his parents. And that is just part of it.<br />Talk about twists and turns to consider and think about.<br />I found it in a used book shop, and don't think it ever recieved much press.

H

hracctsold

To vogon,<br /><br />I know what you mean about those advancing years. I have to keep my name and address on my driver's license just to remember who I am.<br /><br />But I have be told that it's alright to talk to myself, and even ask myself questions, but when I have to say, What did you say, THEN I am having a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts