Official GCSP 05 Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tfwthom

N

nevers

The dates sound good. My son graduates this year around the same time - I'm still working on what I'll be doing. Thanks for the update, I was wondering.

N

newtonian

Nevers - Hi!<br /><br />I was worried about you - glad you are back!<br /><br />How are you?

N

nevers

The dates sound good. My son graduates this year and it is sur

N

nevers

I just got my days off approved from work. I'd like to think I'd be able to see ya'll before June though...I should sign up for some more overtime.

C

claywoman

I wish I could be there for the first time, but alas, I cannot camp, I'm on a disability scooter and I have no way to get there...So have fun and I hope someone tells we folks here that cannot go, what we missed!!<br /><br />Even though I'm just a newbie...I'm a newbie that wants to learn!!! So have fun guys and gals!!!

N

nevers

After the disaterous loss of my old "32Bravo.com" website, I finally got the pages from last year's Grand Canyon Star Party back online with my old host: Angelfire.<br /><br />If you'd like to review it, click here: GCSP - 2004 <br /><br />Hey Thom, do you still have some of the links to other peoples GCSP sites? I lost them all in the shuffle.

T

tfwthom

Brad<br /><br />No Dennis this year at the GCSP. He's going to Bolivia for some southern skies that week. That will mean that the largest scope is going to be Ara's 24" and not Dennis's 28".<br /><br />Did you get a campsite? I know that the ones Dean has are all gone as of March 1st. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

N

nevers

Hi Thom,<br /><br />I knew that about Dennis and was shocked when I heard. Is he actually taking his 28" to Bolivia?<br /><br />Well, Ara's 'scope is awesome. He is coming then? In a way, his 'scope is more impressive at first glance because of the truss and shroud vs. Dennis design. Any word on SkyJim?<br /><br />Oh, yes, I did get a campsite! I was #6 on the list per Dean. I haven't got my packet yet though: that's usually much closer to the event if I remember right. We're still waiting to see about my son John. I'm not sure when exactly his graduation date will be and how long he'll be able to attend.<br /><br />Is is June yet?!?!?!?!?

T

tfwthom

Dennis isn't taking the 28" just his eyepieces. (if he remembers to clean them)<br /><br />Jim will be there the early part of the week, then back to LA for his daughters graduation. (might be something for you to talk to him about, I'll give you contact info if you want) He's going out early and going to play around Utah for some dark sky, then to the GCSP South Rim.<br /><br />Ara's scope has the same mirror (Russian optics) as Dennis's just 24", I like Ara's better because he takes better care of it (cleans the mirror/eyepieces when needed)<br /><br />Dean usually lets the people that got a campsite know early and then sends the rest of us the packet about a week before the GCSP. He emailed Dennis asking why he didn't put in for a campsite. Dennis has never missed a GCSP since Dean restarted it back in 1991. GCSP originally started much earlier as a function of the San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers (John Dobson) in the late '70s and '80s.<br /><br />To anyone else reading this.....the GCSP is an astronomers party not really a star party. We are there for the public (outreach) and just get to play in some of the darkest skies around after the public leaves at around 11PM. Before 11PM you get headlights, buses, cars, people with white lights, after it becomes "our time". The GCSP is sponsered by the National Park Service, orginized by the Tucson Amateur Astronomy Association, attended by members of just about every club in Arizona and people around the country and the world. (had astronomers fly in from France before) Longest drive is usually held by Elaine a 65 year old woman that drives from VA with her 12" DOB. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

T

tfwthom

Starting to ramp up for the GCSP and exchanging emails with some of the others.....<br /><br />Got this from Jane Houston Jones of the San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers<br /><br />edit.....Mojo, Barry Peckham, John Dobson and I will be traveling to the canyon in the mighty "Green Flash" our Dodge Minivan. Some of our friends from Sf will be joining us too. We're all heat wimps and have reservations at the Yavapai Lodge. I always have reservations traveling with John. :) Jane<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

N

nevers

Ok...now I can relax: I got mine today! I got your voice-mail message too Thom...Thanks! See ya'll soon!

T

tfwthom

This in my inbox.... <br /><br />Dean Ketelsen welcomes you to the South Rim Grand Canyon Star Party 2005, <br />June nights 4-11th. <br /><br />Chuck Schroll, of TAAA, and I, from SAC, heartily invite you to the North <br />Rim. We have camp sites available and would be very happy if you want to 1) <br />run solar or Orion star scopes in the afternoon at the Visitor's Center or <br />the Lodge Porch, 2) give a Lodge Porch talk to the public about becoming an <br />amateur astronomer at 1700, 3) give a Lodge Hall basic talk with AV aids at <br />19:00, or 4) point out constellations in the evening. <br /><br />Our chief brag is that Jack Jones of SAC said he saw more stars inside <br />Capricornus than he had ever seen in all his years of viewing...from the <br />Grand Canyon Lodge Porch! <br /><br />Also, you are welcome to spend a night at Point Imperial or Cape Royal. No <br />camping..that means no tent or barbeque, but you can snuggle up to your <br />scope in sleeping bag. Imperial is almost 9,000, 200 feet short, but Royal <br />has a big flat "sun porch" plateau from which to view. <br /><br />We're smaller, and we're higher, and we're facing South. Come join us. <br /><br />Park entry and camping are free. Just mention you are with the Star Party. <br /><br />Margie and Chuck <br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

T

tfwthom

This one from SkyJim posted on Astromart.<br /><br />Anybody looking for a ride to GCSP from the L.A. area?<br /><br />I posted to this effect as part of a reply in the main GCSP thread but thought it might be more visible this way. <br /><br />Heading up early on the 4th (possibly late on the 3rd) and staying at the South Rim through the 8th. <br /><br />Room for a person, some gear, and a middling-big scope in the truck and trailer. Help with gas and you can bunk in the trailer... but bring earplugs, since I snore! A bit more detail in my post in the GCSP thread. <br /><br />Jim <br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

N

nevers

Forecast for: Grand Canyon, AZ 86023<br />Updated: 6/3/2005 9:17:00 PM<br /><br />Tonight<br />Mostly clear. Patchy frost possible. Light winds. Lows around 30 on the North Rim to around 64 along the Colorado River. <br /><br />Saturday<br />Mostly sunny in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Light and variable winds becoming west up to 15 mph in the afternoon. Highs around 71 on the North Rim to around 95 along the Colorado River.<br /> <br />Saturday Night<br />Mostly clear. West winds up to 15 mph. Lows around 37 on the North Rim to around 66 along the Colorado River.<br /> <br />Sunday<br />Partly cloudy. Southwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Highs around 73 on the North Rim to around 97 along the Colorado River.<br /> <br />Sunday Night<br />Mostly clear. Windy. Southwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Lows around 44 on the North Rim to around 73 along the Colorado River.<br /> <br />Monday<br />Mostly sunny. Windy. Highs around 72 on the North Rim to around 95 along the Colorado River.<br /> <br />Monday Night<br />Mostly clear. Lows around 41 on the North Rim to around 71 along the Colorado River.<br /> <br />Tuesday<br />Mostly sunny. Highs around 71 on the North Rim to around 94 along the Colorado River.<br /> <br />Tuesday Night<br />Mostly clear. Lows around 38 on the North Rim to around 68 along the Colorado River.<br /> <br />Wednesday<br />Mostly sunny. Highs around 74 on the North Rim to around 97 along the Colorado River.<br /> <br />Wednesday Night<br />Partly cloudy. Lows around 39 on the North Rim to around 69 along the Colorado River.<br /> <br />Thursday<br />Partly cloudy. Highs around 75 on the North Rim to around 98 along the Colorado River.<br /> <br />Thursday Night<br />Mostly clear. Lows around 40 on the North Rim to around 70 along the Colorado River.<br /> <br />Friday<br />Mostly sunny. Highs around 73 on the North Rim to around 96 along the Colorado River. <br /><br />It's not perfect but what is these days. I'll be with friends though and things could change for the better as far as the weat

Status
Not open for further replies.