Orion departing Vandenburg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

georgeniebling

One of the other threads is discussing the need for a West Coast landing for Orion (due to, essentially, the physics of re-entry).<br /><br />One of the issue being brought up in the expense of returning a re-useable Orion to KSC for processing and launch.<br /><br />Has the idea of a Vandenburg launch site been tossed about? It's closer to Edwards and, hence, allows for the disposal of the service module into the deeps of the Pacific.<br /><br />Thoughts?

L

lampblack

Vandenburg is used primarily for polar orbits.<br /><br />East-west orbits from Vandenburg would be a bad idea. It's further from the equator than KSC -- and would require launching over inhabited land.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#0000ff"><strong>Just tell the truth and let the chips fall...</strong></font> </div>

T

Testing

As I am well South of VAFB I don't mind, but everyone East of it might. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

radarredux

> <i><font color="yellow">East-west orbits from Vandenburg would be a bad idea.</font>/i><br /><br />I believe SpaceX's Musk said they planned to launch East-West out of Vandenberg. If you look at a map, California's coast south of Vandenberg moves away at a South-East diagonal. A rocket could fly a South-East flight plan for about 300 km over ocean; although, I am not sure what altitude they could attain by that point. I am also not saying it is a good idea. I am just pointing out that California's coast doesn't run directly North-South.<br /><br />Check out the Google Map (Vandenberg AFB is near Lompoc -- for some reason Google doesn't label it).<br />http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&z=7&ll=33.073131,-118.443604&spn=5.292241,7.218018&om=1</i>

P

PistolPete

Anything less than about a 60 degree inclination would put it right over San Diego. Even at 225 miles away, an explosion on assent could send shrapnel all over the city. And Barring these problems, the rocket would still fly over Baja, Mexico. As there are plenty of resorts on the peninsula, I am sure that Mexico would be none too pleased that rockets would be flying over populated territory.<br /><br />Also, IIRC SpaceX was (is?) planning on launching from Cape Canaveral for it's east-bound launches. I think they even purchased property on the cape for the launch pad. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

T

tronchaser

As one moves away from the equator for launches, more energy must be spent for east-west orbit achievements.

B

Boris_Badenov

What kind of launches are flown from VAFB? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

N

nyarlathotep

>"One of the issue being brought up in the expense of returning a re-useable Orion to KSC for processing and launch. "<br /><br />Panama canal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts