Orion Intelliscope without Object Locator

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

heyscottie

Looking at the current Orion product line, I notice that you can get each of their XT scopes in three flavors:<br /><br />1) Classic (about $549)<br />2) Intelliscope, without object locator ($669)<br />3) Intelliscope, with object locator ($789)<br /><br />Now, I'm all for saving cash when I can, and haven't decided whether I'd want a Classic or an Intelliscope. But can anybody tell me what might be the point of buying option number 2 without the object locator? Does Orion make the spec on how to drive the Intelliscope public such that somebody could make their own object locator? Or are there other object locators available that could drive it?

S

so_crates

I too am considering the Orion Dob. I like manually finding objects by looking at skymaps, so I'll probably just get the Skyquest Classic, 10". The only real function I can think of that would be needed with Goto capabilities is astrophotography....which I think is not a selling point with Dobs anyway.

H

heyscottie

I guess what I'm asking is whether there is any reason to have an Intelliscope without having an object locator. Can the digital setting circles serve a useful purpose without the hand controller?

A

adrenalynn

It still has encoders. Encoders can still be interfaced to a PC/Laptop...<br /><br />I know they have a PC interface, but I don't remember if it goes through the HC or not. I have the Classic/Orig White Tube.<br /><br />Worth checking on, but either with more or less effort, those encoders can be interfaced to either a PC or an HC at some later point. And that's probably worth considering too. Just because you don't buy the HC right now doesn't mean you can't buy it in a month/quarter/year/... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

H

heyscottie

Thanks. Do you (or anybody) happen to know whether Orion publishes an API so an engineer like myself could basically make their own hand controller? Or is it all proprietary? I'm sure I could call up Orion and ask these questions, but I just love hearing from you all anyway...

T

Testing

If you think you want the whole deal go for it in a package, shop for it for sure. Piecmeal will cost you later! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

adrenalynn

As Testing noted, it's ASCOM compliant, and you should be able to use the headers from the API for the lower-level interface if you want to skip the ASCOM layer. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

H

heyscottie

Testing:<br /><br />Thanks; That's what I was looking for!

Status
Not open for further replies.