Our climate projections for 2500 show an Earth that is alien to humans

Antarctic may not be warming fast enough. :)
Geothermal heating responsible for warming of two major glaciers
East Antarctic cooling period

It's nice to see the greater "doom and gloom" RCP8.5 model is not presented in the article.

The models are important to understand and time should improve them, which may be why the RCP8.5 is off the table, for now, apparently.

Here is a recent article that helps explain in simple terms the current debate on climate: 5 to 15 minute explaining climate debate. [The slides can be downloaded, btw.]

Feb 3, 2020
Visit site
For the record I am not denier that humans are polluting our fair planet and we , as a species, are a potential catalyst of planetary changes - some of which will be undesirable. That said, aren't we still in a period of glaciation? Haven't there been multiple "ice ages" in our past, with more to come? I believe the events that drive warm/cold cycles are ongoing and are much, much larger than humanity.

A day will come when 6 degrees of warming will sound mighty good.

Wolfshadw

For the record I am not denier that humans are polluting our fair planet and we , as a species, are a potential catalyst of planetary changes - some of which will be undesirable. That said, aren't we still in a period of glaciation? Haven't there been multiple "ice ages" in our past, with more to come? I believe the events that drive warm/cold cycles are ongoing and are much, much larger than humanity.

A day will come when 6 degrees of warming will sound mighty good.
According to this (non Space.com) article, we are in an Interglacial period. Glacial periods are when temps are dropping and glaciers are increasing in size.

There have been a number of ice ages here on Earth and there are likely a few more in the future. The Earth has recovered from FAR WORSE than anything we humans have done (thus far). The main concern is that human activity has quickened that cyclic period; advancing the Interglacial period faster than normal.

-Wolf sends

I actually like and appreciate the marked increased growth in trees, shrubs and bushes that camouflage the increasingly creeping development of what were once open fields, farms and undeveloped land. As for the deleterious effects of climate change? Who really knows with any certainty? I don't mind that the deer make a mess of the bird feeders, that cows fart, that horses poop and that people have pit fires on cool Autumn nights while stargazing. I plan to relish such, unfortunately though not up to 2500ce.

I actually like and appreciate the marked increased growth in trees, shrubs and bushes that camouflage the increasingly creeping development of what were once open fields, farms and undeveloped land.
It's not just better growth in regions that are becoming less cold and better for tress and flora, but existing regions. Trees throughout the world have become healthier with the "improved" level of CO2, IIRC (from a report from last year).

The oceans take in more CO2 than trees, I think. The concern is to understand how effective CO2 removing agents will work at higher concentrations. There is a concern that our oceans may be close to a maximum absorption level, which could make things worse faster for us.

As for the deleterious effects of climate change? Who really knows with any certainty?
Yes, "certainty" is the right question to ask. It's been stated that we don't need better computing more than we need better thinking. Our climate is sensitive to greenhouses gases and it's this sensitivity to these, along with solar, volcanoes and other variables that will determine climate change. [Volcanoes, btw, are now included in the latest report, but not much on solar effects.]

Feb 3, 2020
Visit site
One interesting "side effect" of potentially rising sea levels: Huge numbers of jobs created relocating buildings/cities/encampments and the opportunity to re-think affordable housing and living conditions for the less wealthy.

Latest posts