"Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The LIghtning Thief"

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starsinmyeyes44

My son started reading this series a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the books. He was constantly telling me about them, so I started reading them myself. I think they're very good. One of the things I like about them is the humor...I like a book that makes me laugh out loud while I'm reading!

Lots of characters and places to give the special effects dept. much to chew on!

R

rocketmonkey

I read the book series several times. I think by far it is the greatest book ever made. The hundred times I read them it never gets old. Never. :cool:

C

clandistine1

I do have to say
it is one of the best series i have ever read :cool:
i have waited 6 long years for a movie

S

Scifi_Observer

Greek mythology was (i think) one of the best god/godess supernatural religions of all time. A book about it being real (have to say... Zeus was sorta mean though :shock: ) was epic... a movie of a book... epic. er. also... :twisted: GO HADES :twisted:

C

clandistine1

Scifi_Observer":3tycgr90 said:
Greek mythology was (i think) one of the best god/godess supernatural religions of all time. A book about it being real (have to say... Zeus was sorta mean though :shock: ) was epic... a movie of a book... epic. er. also... :twisted: GO HADES :twisted:
LOL
Go Kronos

S

Shpaget

I've seen the movie, but I wasn't aware of the fact that it was based on a novels.
I hate it when that happens.

I have this rule that forbids me to see the movie if there is a book (which was written first) until I read the book (or the series).

Edit:
Oh, yeah, the movie isn't something I'll watch again in near future.

H

HRacct

Shpaget":2v72wqsv said:
I've seen the movie, but I wasn't aware of the fact that it was based on a novels.
I hate it when that happens.
I have this rule that forbids me to see the movie if there is a book (which was written first) until I read the book (or the series).
Edit:
Oh, yeah, the movie isn't something I'll watch again in near future.

Why?? I have stopped going to shows in the past year or two for other reasons, but I went to see that one out of love for the great books I grew up with while young. The novels I was not familar with, but I thought the content fit right in with the established mythology. Now, they updated some of the facts to fit their storyline, but as a whole I was telling my wife what they were going to find next, like finding the coins to give to the guide to carry them over the river to Hades.

When we left the show at a mall, I immediately went to a book store and looked up that series of books. I have not yet started to read them, but for kid books, they did seem interesting. That was one part about reading as a child I did enjoy, that I could get lost in the storyline and imagine myself doing all of that. And that is also what I have found is a good thing in karate, if you can see yourself doing the proper moves and actions, your body will naturally follow what you already have envisioned.

S

Shpaget

Why do I have that rule; Why I hate when it happens; Why I prefer to read the book before watching the movie; Why I won't re-watch it.... pick a "Why" please.

D

docm

For the record: Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief made >$220,400,000 so far, well over twice what it cost to make - and this does not include DVD/BR sales which will commence June 22, 2010, and a sequel is planned. This will be based on the second book in the series - Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters.

H

HRacct

Shpaget":1nfuxogv said:
Why do I have that rule; Why I hate when it happens; Why I prefer to read the book before watching the movie; Why I won't re-watch it.... pick a "Why" please.

Any one why, or all of the why's will do. I can understand enjoying to read something and then seeing it butchered on screen. I have had that happen. I can also understand knowing all of the action that happens on screen by reading it in the book, and it being exactly the same. Which is not totally what you gave for an example, but I can understand your desire in what you said.

You said in your first post that you did not know the show was based on a series of books, and that baised your opinion of the show. I did not know the background of the show, but I did know the characters history and was interested to see how they would handle it. I gave it a chance, and was delighted they were as faithful as they were.

I don't know if I will see it again soon, but in time, I will be delighted to watch it again. There are movies that depart from the storyline of the book, Jurassic Park, for example. Each was good in its own right, but each was different in several ways as well.

So, on its own right, did you like how the movie played out? Have you ever read any mythology in your youth, or seen other shows like Clash of the Titans, or Jason and the Argonaunts(sp)? From your first post, it just seemed you were pre-judging the movie without giving it a chance.

LIke I said before, one of my favortie books was Sphere, and I was really excited to hear it was coming out. I liked the cast selections and thot it would really be a good show, until I saw it. I could not even finish the show because of how bad it turned out. And I was not alone, it closed in the theater before I could go to see it. But I did give it a chance before I said that. Everyone is due their right to not like a show for personal reasons, but it just seemed you were not giving that show a chance to impress you.

S

Shpaget

You misunderstood me. I'm wasn't prejudging.
I did see the movie. I didn't like it. After that (here in this topic) I found out it was based on a novel series.
Now the reason why I didn't like it is confirmed.
The movie is, like almost any book-to-movie movie, too short and there isn't enough time for the plot to properly develop.

As for the "Why"s.
Why do I have that rule?
You said it yourself - butchering.
Why I hate when it happens.
Because I like to read and if I have a chance I'll read the book and if I find it satisfactory I probably won't even bother with the movie, unless the critics are extremely positive.
Why I prefer to read the book before watching the movie.
Because there is so much more in the books than there can ever be in 90 minutes of film.
Why I won't re-watch it.
Butchering which I can only imagine. I will however try to find the novels I give them a go.

A

a_lost_packet_

Are these books more slanted towards a younger audience or would an adult find them suitably appealing? They seem to receive high praise from those who's opinions I would consider worthy.

So, is it worth me tracking these down? Should I put on a "child's eyes" when reading the book, like when reading Harry Potter, etc?

D

docm

NOT actually a child's eye but a teenagers and yes, adults like them too. My wife, our 27 y/o middle son, his wife and our 12-going-on-30 gifted son enjoyed them quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts