PHYSICS

• Thread starter emperor_of_localgroup
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emperor_of_localgroup

Physics
The most beautiful science in the world.
No, I have nothing to say, just showing my admiration for physics.

Any time I open an old physics book and start reading, I get amazed how beautifully physics explain the simplest event of our daily life. I think we can connect physics with real life, that's why physics is so appealing to us (me). Physics may be the most original or basic science and all other branches of science originated from physics.

What other subject uses math as beautifully as physics do?
Does anyone else see the beauty in physics? I guess you have to love nature to love physics.

B

bellch87

I can't imagine dedicating my life to anything else but the world of physics. I plan to start my four year in fall of 2011. Currently an Air Traffic controller in the military. What is your background. Which area of physics do you prefer?(If there is one.)

T

theridane

My most recent wave of admiration came a little over a year ago when I started working on an implementation of newtonian physics. A simple runge-kutta integrator and an implementation of newton's gravitation and blammo, I tried it on a small solar system and it worked. Points were orbiting other points, doing all the things Kepler said they would. All the high-level behaviors (Kepler's laws and all of celestial mechanics) emerged out of a single, much simpler equation (Newton). Best feeling ever.

E

emperor_of_localgroup

bellch87"[color=#FF0040:2ks0yat0 said:
]I can't imagine dedicating my life to anything else but the world of physics. I plan to start my four year in fall of 2011. Currently an Air Traffic controller in the military. What is your background. Which area of physics do you prefer?(If there is one.)[[/color]/quote]

Good, this is the spirit physics world needs. If you are going back to school, I can guarantee you'd learn lot better, because you'd be a much more serious student.

My education was long time ago, I had undergraduate degree in physics and then graduate degrees in engineering. My engineering job is also a little bit physics dependent, that is why I never lost the touch with physics. But physics now has become my hobby, I just explore the world of physics and can afford to be wrong. In fact, I find new discoveries and theory in physics are exciting. My admiration for physics grows anytime I think about the mysteries of the universe, I know physics has the answer somewhere.

undidly » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:52 am
Physics can protect the mind from all sorts of nonsense.
Absolutely true. But in the back of my mind I wish (not I think) the UFOs were true.

I tried it on a small solar system and it worked. Points were orbiting other points, doing all the things Kepler said they would. All the high-level behaviors (Kepler's laws and all of celestial mechanics) emerged out of a single, much simpler equation (Newton). Best feeling ever.
Did you run a graphical simulation? That'd be very interesting. Do you mean Newton's inverse square law can simulate Kepler's mechanics? Believe it or not, I can understand the feelings you got after watching the orbits. I had many such feelings in life. ha ha ha.

Good luck to all Physics lovers.

T

theridane

emperor_of_localgroup":1bab5m5n said:
Did you run a graphical simulation?
2D pixel drawing directly to the framebuffer :lol: nothing visually appealing. I'm working on an opengl engine right now and physics are soon to come, so maybe then :)

Do you mean Newton's inverse square law can simulate Kepler's mechanics?
Yes, together with other simple and obvious laws of motion such as inertia or conservation of kinetic energy, force/acceleration and the like. All the little pieces come together and manifest themselves as orbital periapses, apoapses, ascending and descending nodes... it's breathtaking ;)

Not unlike the feeling when you create a simple artificial lifeform and watch it manifest emergent behavioral traits that you didn't program in it directly, but it's picking them up on its own.

EDIT: yaay 42nd post! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts