Pluto a planet, yea or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dark_energy

I say nay. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

dark_energy

It shouldn't be called a planet. Anything smaller than the largest moon in the solar system should not be classified as a planet. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

dark_energy

Why should a planet be smaller than a moon? Seems strange to me. I still think that planets should be bigger than moons. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

dark_energy

Umm...ok... I don't think you know what I'm getting at. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

cookie_thief

I've always believed Pluto to be a planet. <br />Last I heard, the International Astronomical Union (IAU) has yet to nail down the officail definition of what a "planet" is but I think they may define it as anything above 800 miles in diameter that orbits a star. The 800 mile limit is the approximate point at which coalescing rocks and other debris have attained enough mass to form a sphere rather than the "potato" shape associated with most asteroids. If this is true, then we may end up with a final number of twelve planets. But bear in mind that the commitee given this task is still working on this and has yet to finalize the language. I won't go so far as to say that Pluto is safe but its chances do seem pretty good.

Y

yurkin

<font color="yellow">Anything smaller than the largest moon in the solar system should not be classified as a planet. </font><br /><br />So I guess that makes Mecury an asteroid?

A

alkalin

How bout criteria such as a certain amount of gravity combined with distance from a star (providing an amount of heat) and having large amounts of buildup due to meteors. <br /> <br />Meteor capture is an indicator that this body will continue to grow. It’s orbital distance from the sun and place among other planets either allows it to grow or die.<br /><br />Heat is required to allow the body to pull itself into a sphere when the gravity force is high enough. If it is not in a ‘warm spherical shape’--more qualified as a cold asteroid, it could be blown to bits when hit by a fairly large body, or if it comes too close to another body such as Jupiter in regards to a planet that became the asteroid belt. Perhaps a danger of the small outer planets, since they could be fairly cold by now. I’m assuming they were in the ‘hot’ state at one time after being pulled from the sun in their formation, and liqiud enough to allow gravity it’s due.<br /><br />Some moons would qualify as a planet in many ways, but they do not orbit the sun.<br /><br />The eleven planets so far seem to fill these requirements. And of course including the many moons as they would otherwise qualify if they orbited the sun, we have at least 18, I believe. What do I know? I believe this is not a simple issue.<br />

O

odysseus145

I don't think it should be classified a planet. If Pluto remains classified as a planet, then what will Sedna, Quaoar, and who knows how many other objects be classified as? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

K

kmarinas86

There are 1000's of worlds in this solar system alone. Titan, Europa, and Sedona are just a few examples. There are over 100 worlds orbiting other worlds in this Solar System.<br /><br />http://www.planetary.org/learn/solarsystem/moons.htm<br /><br />If you can build a space station to orbit it, it's a world. If not, then if you can can build a space station on it, it's a still a world.<br /><br />Even if Pluto is not a planet, it's still a world in my books.<br /><br />I would consider the asteroid in the movie <i>Armageddon</i> to be a world.

D

dark_energy

Mercury doesn't lie in a group of comets, asteroids, and meteoroids that would confuse itself as a large asteroid. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

decepticon

For a long time I was all for the Planet thing. Untill these KBO started showing up.<br /><br />After the sedna news I changed my mind.<br /><br />I now consider Pluto a KBO. Triton I also consider part of this group.

W

wisefool

Pluto. Yea! Why not? Nine is fine. Besides, I can see Pluto with my telescope, and I can't see Sedna. So THERE'S a "reason." ;-)

M

Maddad

dark_energy<br />"<font color="yellow">I say nay.</font><br />I say neigh too.<br /><br />steve<br />"<font color="yellow">The astronomers call it a planet. It's a planet. It doesn't matter who you are or what you think.</font><br />A problem with that logic is that plenty of astronomers call it a KBO. The popular press calls it a planet. Think about that.<br /><br />I am uncomfortable with a hard number for the diameter being a part of the definition of a planet. It's arbitrary.

K

kmarinas86

To put things into perspective<br /><br />Venus, Earth, and Mars are Rock Planets<br />Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune are Gas Planets<br />Let's say that any KBO with a thick frozen atmosphere that at least has some level of gas is an Ice Planet.<br />Any KBO that has no atmosphere is just a KBO.<br />All planets have to be the size of Ice Planets or larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts