POLL: Should Pluto's Planet Status Be Revisited?

Page 6 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.

POLL: Should Pluto's Planet Status Be Revisited?

• YES – The fact that dwarf planet Eris is smaller than Pluto proves that Pluto is a planet, Eris is n

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • Let's wait and see – Pluto has always been a misfit in our solar system. Let's see what more observa

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Not a Planet. Period. – The International Astronomical Union laid down the law in 2006. Pluto is a d

Votes: 27 35.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skyskimmer

MeteorWayne":14xaomtp said:
Show me the maps.
Regardless a history major would never come in contact with this information. Astronomy isn't relavant to most history.

B

bdewoody

Skyskimmer":2akp99hq said:
MeteorWayne":2akp99hq said:
Show me the maps.
Regardless a history major would never come in contact with this information. Astronomy isn't relavant to most history.
One can't be interested in both? While in college I took courses in both astronomy and more in history. But I too would like to see the map, as I've never heard of any aincient star map showing a planet in Pluto's orbit.

P

potawatomi13

Pluto has always been a planet to me and always will be. Hopefully the stupidity of the 2006 "redesignation" will be overturned at last. I have always honored Clyde Tombaugh for all his hard work in discovering this planet and he should never be dishonored by demoting his planet.
Sincerely, William Lee Kohler

M

MeteorWayne

It would hardly be a dishonor to have discovered the first Trans Neptunian Object, the first Kuiper Belt Object, and the first Plutino, 70 years before the next was found.

C

cosmerk

If you denigrate Pluto you''l have the power of Disney to deal with, not to mention the Mouse.

L

lorq

MeteorWayne":2d57ompy said:
Quite untrue. There are almost no objects larger than a few meters in earth-like orbits.

You have both ignored my point and made my point for me.

S

Smersh

I voted "yes" because I'm a traditionalist. Ever since I first became interested in astronomy back in about 1960 I had always known Pluto as the "9th planet" and of course it had been regarded as such ever since its discovery by Clyde Tombaugh back in 1930.

ENOUGH of this "dwarf planet" nonsense I say. It's ok for Eris etc because it's smaller than Pluto but as far as I'm concerned, I want Pluto back as a proper planet RIGHT NOW!!

Disgusted, (Tunbridge Wells.) :evil:

B

bobbo19

bdewoody":1newiaxa said:
Skyskimmer":1newiaxa said:
MeteorWayne":1newiaxa said:
Show me the maps.
One can't be interested in both? While in college I took courses in both astronomy and more in history. But I too would like to see the map, as I've never heard of any aincient star map showing a planet in Pluto's orbit.

Seems like a few people have called this guys bluff, ha!

K

kk434

People keep asking: Is Pluto a planet? Yes...No...Yes..No... The real question is if all the large KBO's are planets. It's Pluto talk 24/7 and no one is trying to anwser the KBO problem. If Pluto is a planet then Eris is a planet to, if the several large KBO's are planets is a even more difficult problem. I dont have a problem with Pluto's status , what bothers me is the low level of the Pluto discusion, lot of emotions very litle science.

M

MeteorWayne

Look at the number of posts in this thread. there's PLENTY of discussion, which I have always believed isn a good thing.

B

bdewoody

My final thought. Pluto is what it is regardless of how we define it. Pluto was NOT named after Mickey Mouse's dog contrary to popular belief. Walt Disney as far as I know had not even created that cartoon character when Pluto was discovered. Pluto is named after the Greek god of the underworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts