Possibilities!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yevaud

Hi.<br /><br />Sorry to break your train of thought here.<br /><br />I'm working on an "Official History" of SDC. There's a thread in "Free Space" called, simply enough, "Official History."<br /><br />When you get a chance, please post your basic information there (there's no obligation, and you can post as little or as much as you wish, or nothing at all).<br /><br />Basic Info. sought:<br /><br />1. Username(s) used on SDC<br />2. When you joined.<br />3. Any long-term absences (so a chronology of when you were and weren't an active member can be determined).<br />4. Your age (not a requirement).<br />5. Geographic location.<br />6. Profession.<br /><br />Hopefully, somewhere down the road, I will have an "official, free history," replete with a chronology, names, significant events, and so on.<br /><br />As well, any odd, curious, funny, or interesting stories about SDC are appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />*We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress* <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

E

emperor_of_localgroup

@Btsuj:<br />"Why are things "beautiful"? Why does music make us laugh, cry"<br />"which like string theory, cannot be scientifically tested" <br />"But why a flower, or sunset. These need not be beautiful"<br />"Our calendar for example is not the earths"<br />"only through scientific enperical data combined with probability"<br />"A simple linear survival mindset, IMHO, this is not"<br /><br />A few weeks ago I was on a different but social forum, in fact a religious forum. When a young woman popped up and claimed she gets spiritual and religious feelings when she does drugs. I immediately recalled a Nova show on PBS where a neurologist found out if certain portion of our frontal lobe is damaged it causes spiritual feeling which can be from mild to severe. Any logical person can connect the dots here. <br />Our brain chemistry varies in wide range from person to person. We can logically construe the self induced (internally, without drugs) spirituality through this frontal lobe also vary from person to person. A scientific mind, IMHO, shouldn't let this self induced spirituality interfere with his/her scientific analysis of an event or process. <br /><br />It does not need a very brilliant mind to take today's scientific discoveries and extend them to tomorrow to conclude that someday we will be able not only to explain how the brain works, but also which neurons are excited, by how much, and by what, when two people fall in 'love'. Note, neuroscience is also at the present time in its child-state. <br /><br />If they fail to verify the string theory or some of its predictions, directly or indirectly, it will be a forgotten theory sooner or later. That is science.<br /><br />Calling me a linear thinker (though I was amused) is the same as calling the progress of science linear. <br /><br />BTW, I'm also the biggest opponent of anniverseries - birthday, death day, whatever. A point in time is lost forever, it does not repeat. <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Earth is Boring</strong></font> </div>

D

dragonous

Dear Emperor,<br /><br />Please keep an eye out for this site's exclusive story that came out on Friday. The title is First Confimed Picture of a Planet Beyond the Solar System. This is only a taste of what the other sides is. Although nothing can live on this planet for a couple million years there are countless other worlds beyond our own view.

B

btsuj

Emperor,<br /><br />"A scientific mind, IMHO, shouldn't let this self induced spirituality interfere with his/her analysis of an event or process."<br /><br />I am amused by your inference that I would disagree with such an accepted truth.<br /><br />I also agree that this should be discussed in another forum. I was reading through the posts and thought I would throw something out. I do not know if there is a "God", no one does. No one can disprove it either. <br />In my post I was detailing that there should exist, according to theory, a pointing toward "something other than this in order to define"this" (which we are involved in for quite a spec of "time"). <br />The illusion of "time" is a long fought over philosophical/scientific connundrum. The "arrow" of time is not so readily dismissed. Our bodies grow old and we cease to exist in this state.<br />I am in no way stating that other planets have anything to do with "that which is not this". Other planets, everything, including the start of "this", (big bang" or small pop) is in this "realm of existence. I am simply throwing out the possibility that this realm could be as small as a Planc length string on a ceasless river of pure energy (this would be my "other side"). <br />I am not talking religion here, I am talking structure. <br />Most physicists leave these thoughts for their deathbed.<br />String or "M" theory interns a fine line between philosophy and science. Yet, it is one of the most studied "unified theories" going. It cannot possibly be physically proven, or, just for the sake of thought, we have not, as yet, been "allowed" to prove it.<br />Sorry if you took linear thinking as wrong. One thing leads to another...<br />I think we should stick with dissecting "this side" in this forum, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts