Possible Life on Mars?

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
Hello all... I was reading this article:

I was wondering, I know it's difficult to establish whether there was is or was life on mars via rovers, but let's say if we were to go there, would it be any easier to determine if there was life on Mars at some point in the past or current if man was to go and have a small lab or something? Or would it be just as difficult?

Have a nice day!

Rob Morin
Montreal, Canada

The first thing is to determine what we mean by "life". After seeing the "Face On Mars" photos, Richard Hoagland developed all sorts of theories regarding the images of Cydonia Mesa, the Face, and Downtown Cydonia which he said are the remains of a city. Life could mean DNA based microbes similar to what we have on Earth. Life on Mars could be something that reproduces but is not based on DNA. It could be based on Silicone instead of carbon. Life could be something so alien we might not even be able to recognize it as life.

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
Ok thanks for your reply, I do not believe in any of that "Face on Mars" conspiracy crap... When i said life i meant bacteria. :) Just wondering if its more easily confirmed or not if man were there rather than using rovers, ect...
Judging from the elements & molecules that were present when the solar system evolved I would assume that any low life forms discovered would not be that "alien" to what we know know of currently.
Have a great day!

I prefer the rigorous scientific method based upon repeated observations, verifiable, testable, thus falsifiable. How many negative tests for life on Mars is needed before the theory is declared falsified? This goes to the heart of an assumption supporting the teaching. Does life evolve via spontaneous combustion from non-living matter?

Oct 6, 2020
Visit site
However, the surface is not hospitable to humans or most known life forms due to the radiation, greatly reduced air pressure, and an atmosphere with only 0.16% oxygen. ... Human survival on Mars would require living in artificial Mars habitats with complex life-support systems.
but the fact that a person can not live there does not mean that there is no one else, because I still believe in aliens)

Reactions: serhiy1635
Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
However, the surface is not hospitable to humans or most known life forms due to the radiation, greatly reduced air pressure, and an atmosphere with only 0.16% oxygen. ... Human survival on Mars would require living in artificial Mars habitats with complex life-support systems.
but the fact that a person can not live there does not mean that there is no one else, because I still believe in aliens)
There is no proven theory that there is any kind of life or any reason for that .
No sigh of water or air and high level of radiation. It`s hilarious to talk about life on Mars, on the planet which is a complete opposition to the word ``life``

Much easier and less costly (nearly said "cheaper" but nothing sent to Mars can ever be called cheap) to send robotic and remote controlled equipment than send people with all they require, plus lab, plus equipment. Adding astronauts increases the difficulties and costs - and risks - enormously. Even with people physically present it will be easier for them to use robotic rovers to collect samples and do preliminary testing. Ultimately the real work of analysing them will be done on Earth, where all the experts and the full range of lab capabilities reside.

I think that finding evidence of prior life is possible on or close to the surface but to find present life will mean finding liquid water.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
That`s a good point. But at the moment people even don`t have an opportunity to travel to Mars. Scientist cannot figure that out like the way people gonna survive on the surface of this planet if they get there. I think humanity should not be obsessed with Mars traveling and should spend this money on problem we have on Earth like starvation and other stuff.
I assume we have a lot to handle on our planet!

It's not extremely hard, but still challenging, to imagine some possibility for prior life on Mars, if only microbial. At one time, Mars had lots of water with estimates of about 140m deep (~ 1/20th that of Earth) if averaged over the entire planet. Hydrocarbons and things like amino acids are found in space so planetary formations would have these components.

The biggest possibility for microbial life may be that they came from Earth due to massive impact ejections (panspermia).

Abiogenesis is still a mystery. Whatever physical characteristics that this universe was given from the beginning seems to suggest it's viable, --else we wouldn't be here along with millions of other species similar in DNA -- but extremely uncommon.

The strong evidence of aquifers under the Martian surface, along with its past oceans, may provide the answers once they are explored. The surface conditions seem to harsh to allow much to remain there.

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
It's not extremely hard, but still challenging, to imagine some possibility for prior life on Mars, if only microbial. At one time, Mars had lots of water with estimates of about 140m deep (~ 1/20th that of Earth) if averaged over the entire planet. Hydrocarbons and things like amino acids are found in space so planetary formations would have these components.

The biggest possibility for microbial life may be that they came from Earth due to massive impact ejections (panspermia).

Abiogenesis is still a mystery. Whatever physical characteristics that this universe was given from the beginning seems to suggest it's viable, --else we wouldn't be here along with millions of other species similar in DNA -- but extremely uncommon.

The strong evidence of aquifers under the Martian surface, along with its past oceans, may provide the answers once they are explored. The surface conditions seem to harsh to allow much to remain there.
There is no proved statement that the life on Mars exists even microbial. I guess that is impossible even for microbial form of life to live there because of the high temperature and high level of radiation. But maybe I am wrong ( only God knows). You made me to read some articles and I found that there is a large amount of ice on Mars and there is a possibility that in that ice can be frozen forms of life, so your statement might be right.

There is no proved statement that the life on Mars exists even microbial. [
Correct, there has never been any strong evidence for life anywhere other than Earth. Of course, we have not hardly "scratched the surface" in our efforts to find life elsewhere.

I guess that is impossible even for microbial form of life to live there because of the high temperature and high level of radiation.
Not impossible, especially in and around underground aquifers, yet to be explored. It was that many years ago "impossible life" was found in very impossible places here on Earth. Some of these bacteria are known as "extremophiles". But intense solar radiation (espeically high UV), cosmic rays, extreme temperatures, lack of water, etc., greatly reduce the odds, hence underground efforts may be far more fruitful.

The harsh surface conditions are also true for places like Europa. It is estimated that about 1/2 the weight of any craft put on its surface will need to be radiation shielding due to Jupiter's radiation upon it. Of course, under the ice cap, not likely a problem.

You made me to read some articles and I found that there is a large amount of ice on Mars and there is a possibility that in that ice can be frozen forms of life, so your statement might be right.
Yes, but we keep discovering more and more interesting things about Mars. Here is an article from Sept. about the briny water on Mars on Mars.

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
Correct, there has never been any strong evidence for life anywhere other than Earth. Of course, we have not hardly "scratched the surface" in our efforts to find life elsewhere.

Not impossible, especially in and around underground aquifers, yet to be explored. It was that many years ago "impossible life" was found in very impossible places here on Earth. Some of these bacteria are known as "extremophiles". But intense solar radiation (espeically high UV), cosmic rays, extreme temperatures, lack of water, etc., greatly reduce the odds, hence underground efforts may be far more fruitful.

The harsh surface conditions are also true for places like Europa. It is estimated that about 1/2 the weight of any craft put on its surface will need to be radiation shielding due to Jupiter's radiation upon it. Of course, under the ice cap, not likely a problem.

Yes, but we keep discovering more and more interesting things about Mars. Here is an article from Sept. about the briny water on Mars on Mars.
Interesting article!
I read familiar articles to that one yesterday, after having discussed that topic with you)
If there is a possibility for human to survive on Mars` surface, it`s still difficult to get to this planet. I know that technology is not staying on its` place, but just imagine how many years we need to make an appropriate equipment to travel to Mars. And definitely it will cost a lot and as I have already mentioned, it would be better to spend this money on the problems we have on Earth

Interesting article!
I read familiar articles to that one yesterday, after having discussed that topic with you)
If there is a possibility for human to survive on Mars` surface, it`s still difficult to get to this planet. I know that technology is not staying on its` place, but just imagine how many years we need to make an appropriate equipment to travel to Mars. And definitely it will cost a lot and as I have already mentioned, it would be better to spend this money on the problems we have on Earth
The benefits, IMO, outweigh most of the costs. Werner Von Braun proposed, as a young man in rocketry to the then international space group, sending 900 flights into Earth orbit to complete several craft that could go to Mars, with a few returning. This was in the 1930's.

We seems to have cut that 900 figure down dramatically and each flight seems to be coming down in cost as well. I prefer to keep sending robotic craft to Mars and elsewhere, but try and establish a human base on the Moon, especially since we now know about all that water (ice) located in certain spots. This would be a stepping-stone for Mars or, perhaps, Phobos (as Buzz Aldrin favors) as a step before Mars.

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
The benefits, IMO, outweigh most of the costs. Werner Von Braun proposed, as a young man in rocketry to the then international space group, sending 900 flights into Earth orbit to complete several craft that could go to Mars, with a few returning. This was in the 1930's.

We seems to have cut that 900 figure down dramatically and each flight seems to be coming down in cost as well. I prefer to keep sending robotic craft to Mars and elsewhere, but try and establish a human base on the Moon, especially since we now know about all that water (ice) located in certain spots. This would be a stepping-stone for Mars or, perhaps, Phobos (as Buzz Aldrin favors) as a step before Mars.
I prefer sending robotic crafts to Mars to just like NASA has already done it before. It would be better in many things. The first one is that journeys to Mars for human might be very dangerous stuff to do and we don`t know what to expect on this planet . The second one is that developing special gear and space craft that can bring human to Mars will be very expensive and long lasting process . So the easiest and the most reliable way is to send robotic expeditions to Mars:)

I prefer sending robotic crafts to Mars to just like NASA has already done it before. It would be better in many things. The first one is that journeys to Mars for human might be very dangerous stuff to do and we don`t know what to expect on this planet . The second one is that developing special gear and space craft that can bring human to Mars will be very expensive and long lasting process . So the easiest and the most reliable way is to send robotic expeditions to Mars:)
Yes, and we have gotten very effective at robotic missions. The earliest efforts were mostly failures.

Here's a comical video of some of that history -- Spring on Mars.

Latest posts