Post-Hubble: Sending the former rescue shuttle to ISS

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

Assuming the Hubble mission doesn't need the rescue shuttle, what all is involved in prepping it for an ISS mission? Would a rollback be required or could everything be done on the pad? A rollback would probably require enough time that a different shuttle could be ready sooner.

D

docm

I can't even imagine them taking the risk of launching Kibo twice, one on a risky rescue mission, so probably STS-400 doesn't have a payload other than repair stuff for Atlantis, if any. If that's true then a rollback to load Kibo would be necessary. Anyone know for sure?

M

MeteorWayne

That is correct. Don't forget, I believe in the resue configuration it has seats for the extra astronauts if needed. I'm not sure if a rollback will be required. My guess is yes, but I haven't found the answer yet.

T

tadpoletriker

My old brain seems to remember that it will be rolled over to the other pad, since cargo is loaded on the pad anyway.

John

W

willpittenger

I don't know about risk. But Kibo's remaining parts have mass. Getting all that mass to Hubble's orbit would be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.