'Potentially hazardous' asteroid worth nearly $5 billion will pass by Earth this week, NASA says

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
Wow, just think, if nasa could capture it and sell it on the open market for that, they could afford two whole sls boosters, delivery in about 2028 . . .
Unironically though, if they could find a cost-effective way to capture asteroids and return them to earth, that would make spaceflight much more lucrative, as well as decrease the cost of many rare metals. Plus, NASA could become financially self-sufficient, or at least decrease budgetary strain, sort of like the USPS.

iconoclast

BANNED
Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
Unironically though, if they could find a cost-effective way to capture asteroids and return them to earth, that would make spaceflight much more lucrative, as well as decrease the cost of many rare metals. Plus, NASA could become financially self-sufficient, or at least decrease budgetary strain, sort of like the USPS.

There is no cost effective way. Space travel is expensive. It would cost upwards of 10-20 billion to get this guy and bring him down to earth. And if you did, you would flood the market for the metals, and it would only be worth a billion. Just like every cubic mile of seawater has about a billion dollars of gold in it, but no one has made a dime getting it out.

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
There is no cost effective way. Space travel is expensive. It would cost upwards of 10-20 billion to get this guy and bring him down to earth. And if you did, you would flood the market for the metals, and it would only be worth a billion. Just like every cubic mile of seawater has about a billion dollars of gold in it, but no one has made a dime getting it out.
As i responded to you on your other thread, it might not be possible now, but it very well could be in the future. You should look at these things with a more open mindset. Also, it doesn't even need to be directly sold into the market to be profitable. If you have minerals in orbit, that would vastly decrease the cost of constructing space stations and satellites.

iconoclast

BANNED
Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
As i responded to you on your other thread, it might not be possible now, but it very well could be in the future. You should look at these things with a more open mindset. Also, it doesn't even need to be directly sold into the market to be profitable. If you have minerals in orbit, that would vastly decrease the cost of constructing space stations and satellites.

No, I did not say it was not possible, it is, just very expensive and not a good proposition to spend $20 billion to snag and recover an asteroid worth 6 billion (or less when it floods the metals market). As for open mindset, mine is quite open but realistic. Perhaps you should have your mindset more based in reality. Or go out and buy a cubic mile of ocean water and get out all the gold.

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
No, I did not say it was not possible, it is, just very expensive and not a good proposition to spend $20 billion to snag and recover an asteroid worth 6 billion (or less when it floods the metals market). As for open mindset, mine is quite open but realistic. Perhaps you should have your mindset more based in reality. Or go out and buy a cubic mile of ocean water and get out all the gold.
Of course you want to be realistic when you are actually doing something, but when you are just pondering (this is literally just an internet forum by the way) it is perfectly fine to think about stuff that's not probable.

Latest posts