Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

This is probably a very dumb question, however, i was wondering if an electric air compressor would work in space and if so would it be an effiecient way to propel a rocket (connecting it to solar panels) so it has somewhat a self sustainable propulsion method? Or if there is similar technology currently in use?

I undertand that there is no air in space but it was just a random thought.

Many thanks,
Someone who doesn't know alot about space.

Reactions: Craftsman X
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

This is probably a very dumb question, however, i was wondering if an electric air compressor would work in space and if so would it be an effiecient way to propel a rocket (connecting it to solar panels) so it has somewhat a self sustainable propulsion method? Or if there is similar technology currently in use?

I undertand that there is no air in space but it was just a random thought.

Many thanks,
Someone who doesn't know alot about space.
no question in my book is ever dumb... it takes bravery to ask something you don't know the answer to and takes a wise type of empathy to provide an answer.
By the way I don't know the answer to your question either!
... keep asking and before you know it you will be the most knowledgeable one in the room!

Reactions: GPVR46
The lack of air is a real challenge for an air compressor to work, but say in the upper atmosphere of Venus where temperatures aren't that bad, then perhaps solar panels orbiting above the atmosphere could beam microwaves to the air compressor to give it power to pump the pressure up in tanks that would later serve as a propulsion system, or sub-system.

Reactions: GPVR46

Latest posts