Question about Dobsonian telescopes

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shadow735

It has been a long time since I have posted anyhow I have a question on Dobsonian telescopes. I am pretty much ready to take the plunge into getting a telescope. I have reviewed many of the available telescopes (When I say review I mean catalogs not actual telescopes) and so far the Dobsonian has been in my sights.
I really only have two concerns the first is that I am interested in Astrophotography, I know some of the bigger Dobs (like 16" and up) can be used for this with tracking mounts but my question is how possible is this say for the Orion 12" truss intelliscope set up or the 14" (When I say how possible I mean how hard would it be to convert these Orion Dobs to a new tracking base that would enable Astrophotography?)I would of course be using these for deep sky observation to start out.

I know it is possible to do planetary photography using an attachment, but deep sky would be problematic.

I know Astrophotography is Expensive so I dont want to jump into it, I would most likely stick to planetary photography to start out and go from there if I really get the hook set in my cheek.

Anyhow I will be attending the Meeting at http://www.laas.org/ Club this Wend to ask some questions and join so I can attend a star party and actually check out all the different type of telescopes.

My main concern in all this is I dont want to drop money on a scope that I will outgrow in 6 months. I am a fast learner, especially when something consumes my thoughts like the heavenly sky does. My target budget is $2,000, but I could go up to $2,500 my target date to get the scope is around Sept/Oct so I do have plenty of time to plan for this.

I live in Southern Calif about 30 minutes from Hollywood so I would be taking this with me camping to dark sky areas (Because where I live has severe light pollution) I have to drive at least an hour away to be able to see the Milky way.

Anyhow I would greatly appreciate any input on my current track and plans. I am really looking forward to gazing into the heavens. I have been burning to get a telescope for a long while and only recently am in a position to be able to afford one.

Thanks All.

C

crazyeddie

shadow735":2isju8h0 said:
It has been a long time since I have posted anyhow I have a question on Dobsonian telescopes. I am pretty much ready to take the plunge into getting a telescope. I have reviewed many of the available telescopes (When I say review I mean catalogs not actual telescopes) and so far the Dobsonian has been in my sights.
I really only have two concerns the first is that I am interested in Astrophotography, I know some of the bigger Dobs (like 16" and up) can be used for this with tracking mounts but my question is how possible is this say for the Orion 12" truss intelliscope set up or the 14" (When I say how possible I mean how hard would it be to convert these Orion Dobs to a new tracking base that would enable Astrophotography?)I would of course be using these for deep sky observation to start out.

I know it is possible to do planetary photography using an attachment, but deep sky would be problematic.

I know Astrophotography is Expensive so I dont want to jump into it, I would most likely stick to planetary photography to start out and go from there if I really get the hook set in my cheek.

Anyhow I will be attending the Meeting at http://www.laas.org/ Club this Wend to ask some questions and join so I can attend a star party and actually check out all the different type of telescopes.

My main concern in all this is I dont want to drop money on a scope that I will outgrow in 6 months. I am a fast learner, especially when something consumes my thoughts like the heavenly sky does. My target budget is $2,000, but I could go up to $2,500 my target date to get the scope is around Sept/Oct so I do have plenty of time to plan for this.

I live in Southern Calif about 30 minutes from Hollywood so I would be taking this with me camping to dark sky areas (Because where I live has severe light pollution) I have to drive at least an hour away to be able to see the Milky way.

Anyhow I would greatly appreciate any input on my current track and plans. I am really looking forward to gazing into the heavens. I have been burning to get a telescope for a long while and only recently am in a position to be able to afford one.

Thanks All.

I would hesitate before buying a huge 12" or 14" dobsonian, even if it is a truss tube, or you risk getting burned out early from the hassle of setting it up every time you want to observe. If you've never owned a telescope before, you really need to start out with something smaller until you get used to using them and finding things in the sky. Snapshots of the moon and planets is possible with almost any telescope, but long-exposure astrophotography should come much later. You can do such photography with a dobsonian by putting it on an equatorial platform, such as this one I saw on Astromart:

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/de ... _id=685362

But if you want to take really good long-exposure astrophotos, you'll need a lot more than a $2,000 budget. It's best if you save that objective for later, after you learn the ropes of observing and using equipment. I'd start with an 8" or 10" dobsonian as your first scope, if I were you. Spend the extra money you'll have left over on excellent eyepieces and other accessories, such as a binoviewer. These you can use with your next bigger, better telescope.....if you're still into the hobby by then.

F

Fallingstar1971

Orion just released an autotracking Dob........

But astrophotograhy, honestly, cameras do not work like your eyes. You will not see hubble quality shots in your eyepiece.

There are astrographs out there that can do amazing work, but it adds up. For just a camera body (DSLR) is 3-400 bucks for a good one.

Using CCDs, most require a laptop. Theres some more money.......

Go to orion.com and check out there outfits. But before you start spending money, learn your way around a camera as well, and remember, light is key.

The CCD will "collect" photons and store them "collectively"(to be viewed all at once) where your eyes transmit to the brain the photon the instant it arrives.

The effect of this is that galaxies and DSOs appear mostly black and white with little detail. True, some filters can bring out some contrast, but thats about it.

However, with a much smaller scope that can track, you can take long exposures and generate very nice pictures.

However,(again) the money you save on a scope will be needed when you purchase the camera.

Orion also has a steadyshot mount that can take pictures of the moon quite nicely. Here is an example:

Equipment:
Orion XT8, Olympus FE26 point n click, and the steadyshot mount:
(I forget which eyepiece I was using, but I think it was a 15MM)

moon007.jpg

p3190016.jpg

p3190014.jpg

moon005.jpg

moon010.jpg

All done afocally with the camera lens aimed into the 15MM EP @ 3 X optical zoom (camera)
The drawback is the blur......EP->camera lens causes some blur, plus atmospheric turbulence. Looking through the EP with your eye the image is clearer but the turbulence is still there.

3488 has a thread called "some shots I have taken" or something like that. I have posted some straight shot (no telescope) shots using just my camera of Leo, Ursa Minor, and a few others. All were taken under the "firework" setting using the auto timer. So even something as simple as a digital camera is enough to at least get started. And using the auto timer eleimates the camera shake giving you a much better picture.

Good luck, whatever you end up getting, post back some shots

Star

Star

C

crazyeddie

Fallingstar1971":7jc6kv9w said:
Orion just released an autotracking Dob........

Autotracking can help insure sharp lunar and planetary photos, but they will not serve for long-exposure deep-sky astrophotography because they cannot compensate for field rotation that would occur in any non-equatorial mount.

F

Fallingstar1971

Ahhhh....see that, learn something new every day.

Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts