question about radio transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vladius

here's another one. Lets say a probe was sent into deep space. at launch, the probe began transmitting data continously. and started towards us at the speed of light, in essense, it is traveling as fast as its transmission. the probes journey is 1 light year. What would the transmission sound like when the probe(and the transmission) reached earth?<br /><br />now if my understanding is correct... the probe would have aged what? a minute? <br /><br />personally, i think they would get a years worth of transmission in like a minute. ... hmmm..... !! ... just a second here... should seti be looking for fat bursts of radio (if thats what theyre using) .... hmm... makes me think... but then so do shiney objects... WOO ...look!! . . . shiney..... <br /><br /><br />oops!! i put this in the wrong subject... my bad

V

vladius

here's another one. Lets say a probe was sent into deep space. at launch, the probe began transmitting data continously. and started towards us at the speed of light, in essense, it is traveling as fast as its transmission. the probes journey is 1 light year. What would the transmission sound like when the probe(and the transmission) reached earth?<br /><br />now if my understanding is correct... the probe would have aged what? a minute? <br /><br />personally, i think they would get a years worth of transmission in like a minute. ... hmmm..... !! ... just a second here... should seti be looking for fat bursts of radio (if thats what theyre using) .... hmm... makes me think... but then so do shiney objects... WOO ...look!! . . . shiney..... <br />

N

nexium

The carrier frequency would be infinity, the modulaton frequency would be infinity, the the year of transmission would be received in much less than a pico second at extreme signal strength. Existing equipment would not detect the signal.<br /> Let's have the probe approaching at 0.99C , The carrier frequency as received would be increased by 100 times, the modulation frequency by 100 times, thus 30 hertz would sound like 3000 hertz. The received power would be increased by 100 times for 3.65 days even though the probe transmitted for a year probe time. I'm not sure about the aging of the probe, nor fat bursts of radio. Neil

V

vogon13

As I understand question, I would say transmission from probe is going to be drastically blue shifted into x-ray region of spectrum. As we currently have no means of decoding modulated x-ray carrier, all your valuble probe data will be converted into heat at the receiver(assuming it's above atmosphere due to opacity problem) and would also sterilize anyone too close to the beam. Not sure I would hazard a guess as to how your auditory nerves would process this x-ray blast and I doubt you would be able to describe it afterwards. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

V

vogon13

Oh, yeah, almost forgot, time dilation experienced by probe means you (using your figure) would only have about 1 minute worth of data. Probably interesting data. But only a minutes worth. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

P

pizzaguy

So your probe is sent into space at the speed of light? And how is it headed towards us if we launched it? <br /><br />Your first paragraph doesn't appear to make sense. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1"><em>Note to Dr. Henry:  The testosterone shots are working!</em></font> </div>

V

vladius

'we' didnt launch the probe. it was launched towards us. But the point is: If ET's are coming towards us at a large %C, shouldt we be looking for large bursts of radio waves/ xrays etc... but it doesnt matter.. it was a silly question anyway. <br /><br />but here is another question. is there any way to receive x-rays or other very short waves and expand the wavelength using computers into the radio spectrum? if there are spacecraft from ships flying around the galaxy, they would need some sort of powerful communication system. if they are traveling at near C speeds, theyre transmissions would be outside the radio spectrum.

N

nexium

If the transmision was voice, we could record it on tape at ten times normal speed and play it back at normal speed. That likely would not give good results at 100 times, but my guess is a computer program is possible that would give good fidelity with time compressed audio. It is also likely a "radio" receiver can be built to extract the modulation from an xray carrier or even a gamma ray carrier. Perhaps SETI should persue your idea. Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.