Quit your bellyaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

para3

Tis better to be safe than sorry. So what if the astronauts and ISS crew has to wait a little longer? I'd rather see NASA not rush into this launch if they aren't comfortable with it. <br /><br />Quit your bellyaching <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font size="3" color="#99cc00">.....Shuttle me up before I get tooooooooo old and feeble.....</font></strong></p><p><strong></strong></p><p><strong><font size="4" color="#ff6600">---Happiness is winning a huge lottery--- </font></strong></p> </div>

L

lunatic133

It will never be 100% safe. It could be that they could declare the debris problem fixed and totally overlook some other problem, as happened with Columbia and her fuel lines. If they aren't comfortable now, chances are they won't be any time soon. I wish I could be more optimistic that this thing will launch in July, but I'm just not sure at this point.

P

para3

I have to agree with you on other problems being created. But, if NASA feels uncomfortable about a scheduled launch they should hold off. Many times NASA officials find other problems while making modifications, etc. And of course I see NASA losing another shuttle which will end the program right there and now unfortunately.<br /><br />While some of them are criticizing the shuttle calling it junk, I feel like it is an awesome spaceplane that was rushed into service, finding all sorts of problems with the loss of life and delay after delay. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font size="3" color="#99cc00">.....Shuttle me up before I get tooooooooo old and feeble.....</font></strong></p><p><strong></strong></p><p><strong><font size="4" color="#ff6600">---Happiness is winning a huge lottery--- </font></strong></p> </div>

M

mrmorris

<font color="yellow">"astronauts will only be safe if they don't go in space. "</font><br /><br />What -- you think it's <b>safe</b> down here?!?!

R

rocketwatcher2001

I'm not going to buckle myself into anything that can kill me if I don't have confidence in it. I've taken plenty of airplanes flying that have had problems, some were pretty big problems, but I knew what the risks were, and I also knew what my options and capabilities were. I've also walked away from a few airplanes that I was supposed to fly because I thought they were a little too broken. It's a judgement call, and the bottom line is, even if everyone says the bird is good enough, but the crew isn't happy with it, than it ain't good enough. The crew of STS-114 isn't walking around with yellow books called, "Flying the Space Shuttle for Dummies", these folks know what they are doing.<br /><br />They are the final authority. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

H

holmec

Nice post.<br /><br />While were in a debate its sometimes hard to keep reality into perspecitive. We face dangers in our daily life without realizing it. The astronauts know its extreemly dangerous to fly in space, but accept the risk with the challenge. But if we don't send up astronauts, we will never learn how to survive and live in space. We know Earth is doomed to one day be engulfed by the Sun. We know if an astroid hits our planet, life on Earth may not survive. We need to keep learning how to live in space for future generations.<br /><br />With challenges always come risk. We applaude our astronauts for taking both.<br /><br />Its good to remember that.<br /><br />Mourning for the lost astronauts and making sure we have better plans and equipment for the next set of astronauts is good and neccesary. But there comes a time when we must move on. We must progress. I'm sure that time is coming with the next launch.<br /><br />God's speed Discovery.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts