Rama rendered

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nimbus

With some artistic license. New York really is Manhattan isl. and the rest of the two land areas look like what you find in French countryside.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBIQCm54dfY[/youtube]

C

crazyeddie

nimbus":2mggwr0s said:
With some artistic license. New York really is Manhattan isl. and the rest of the two land areas look like what you find in French countryside.

Awesome!

Perhaps, for their next project, they could do a simulation of what life on Larry Niven's "Ringworld" would look like to an inhabitant. :cool:

B

bdewoody

So, is this an indication that movie production will start soon?

N

nimbus

Just an independent hobby effort. The movie was taken off IMDB a while back, so it's probably not going to happen for now.

B

bdewoody

I know I'm in the minority here but I really enjoyed all of the Rama books. I'm truly surprised that Morgan Freeman was unable to attract enough backing to make the movie happen.

A

a_lost_packet_

crazyeddie":28dtiqlt said:
Awesome!

Perhaps, for their next project, they could do a simulation of what life on Larry Niven's "Ringworld" would look like to an inhabitant. :cool:

I've seen scale models of Ringworld but, with very low resolution. To do a true scale 3D model of it and just use textures that would allow you to see a few features would take quite a hefty render-farm. As it is, there are scale 3D models of it out there but, no full scale, high res ones worth rendering features on.

I suppose it'd be possible to do something reasonable with alpha/normal maps but, creating those would be a PITA. Some specialized, instanced terrain generator might be able to do the job with the appropriate variables plugged in. IIRC, Niven goes into a bit of detail on various 3D attempts in the forward of one of the books.

(Just saw the disclaimer on the vid. They could do Ringworld with the same kind of techniques.)

G

Gravity_Ray

bdewoody":3gitw8qf said:
I know I'm in the minority here but I really enjoyed all of the Rama books. I'm truly surprised that Morgan Freeman was unable to attract enough backing to make the movie happen.

I did like the first book but after a while the books became sort of boring... Couldnt get through the second book and never did read the ones after.

B

bdewoody

Gravity_Ray":12ou2k6q said:
bdewoody":12ou2k6q said:

I did like the first book but after a while the books became sort of boring... Couldnt get through the second book and never did read the ones after.
Reading the entire series revealed a purpose to the whole Rama saga. I admit there was a lot of dead baggage in the middle and I skimmed large parts of the second and third books but the overall story had a meaning of it's own that reading just one of the books doesn't come close to. It would be like stopping halfway through the Lord of the Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts