Replace NASA With Us

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

To beat a dead horse, the Shuttle program is over. There are 5 flights left.

Finito.

You can suggest anything you want about future uses, but it ain't gonna happen.

E

EarthlingX

MeteorWayne":3ph4tl6s said:
To beat a dead horse, the Shuttle program is over. There are 5 flights left.

Finito.

You can suggest anything you want about future uses, but it ain't gonna happen.

Yea, i noticed. Just wondering, could NASA sell a Shuttle stack ? I remember selling being a problematic part for NASA, not like Roskosmos. Anyway, if there would be interest, Buran, as an alternative, is probably for sale, it just doesn't have much of a flight record (1 unmanned, i think).

M

MeteorWayne

Again, look at the dead horse. They don't exist. There are going to be no more ET's, no more Shuttle SRB's, and no more shuttles in condition to fly.

V

vulture4

In theory a moderately large meteorite would be very valuable; nickle for example is found in high concentrations, in fact most nickle-iron meteorites are essentially high-grade stainless steel. I would estimate the scrap value of a meteorite to be at least $5000 per ton. Materials with value due to utility rather than rarity, such as nickle, probably would not suffer much of a decline in price even if a large quantity were recovered. Also, metallic meteorites generally land intact except for some erosion. However I think the environmental impact (pardon the pun) would be unmanageable. A meterite of less than 100.000 tons would probably not be economical to recover, and most countries are just not going to accept the risk of someone accidentally dropping an object on them that could destroy a city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts