Russian scientists have begun work on ‘Venera-D’ mission to Venus

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Just my view:
Mars is pretty certain to be dead, although life may possibly have existed there around 4 bya.
Finding traces of past life would be utterly fantastic, as it would show life existing outside Earth.

Whatever may have happened in the past, the surface of Venus is almost certainly uninhabitable due to the extreme temperature and pressure. However, life in the clouds (a few tens of miles up) may just be possible. Temperature and pressure are Earthlike. BUT it would have to contend with a sulphuric acid atmosphere. Maybe not impossible. Earth has some extreme environments which are inhabited.

Cat :)

Not only Russians: The US space agency NASA has announced that it is sending two new missions to Venus to study the planet's atmosphere and geological features. Each of the projects will receive $ 500 million and are expected to start between 2028 and 2030.

NASA chief Bill Nelson said the missions "will allow us to explore a planet we haven't been on in over 30 years." The last time an American probe reached Venus was in 1990, when the Magellan spacecraft orbited the planet for four years and collected data on its surface. After that, spacecraft from Europe and Japan were also sent to Venus.

"The challenge for both missions is to understand how Venus turned into a hell-like planet where lead can melt on the surface," Nelson said.

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
I`ve read an article about NASA`s plans to visit Venus.
NASA announced that it will send, not one, but two spacecraft to Venus this decade as part of its efforts to ramp up exploration of the closest planet to Earth.
The decision was hailed by scientists who study Venus and have felt neglected by a space agency decidedly more interested in Mars. NASA has not sent a robotic spacecraft to Venus since the launch of the Magellan orbiter in 1989. Launched by space shuttle Atlantis, Magellan made a controlled entry into the Venusian atmosphere in 1994 after collecting reams of data that have tantalized scientists ever since."

Reactions: CCooper96
By the way, returning to Russian misssion - why are they so self-confident? While reading about NASA plans concerning developing DAVINCI+ and VERITAS - they co-operate with European space agencies(France, Italy, Germany). Russians claim that they will launch Venera-D earlier than others as I understood? And for what this race again?

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
By the way, returning to Russian misssion - why are they so self-confident? While reading about NASA plans concerning developing DAVINCI+ and VERITAS - they co-operate with European space agencies(France, Italy, Germany). Russians claim that they will launch Venera-D earlier than others as I understood? And for what this race again?
Yeah, that fact surprised me too. Russian space agency makes less than Space X in a year and in general Russian space agency is far behind. And now they are claiming that a Venus mission will be launched in some time

😁Article from September 17, 2020. I am laughing :

Russia's space agency chief declares Venus a "Russian planet"

Roscosmos chief Dmitry Rogozin, who's known for espousing unconventional scientific views — and for frequently sarcastic anti-Western rhetoric — said this week that Russia wants to send its own mission to Venus, in addition to an already-proposed joint venture with the United States called "Venera-D."
"We think that Venus is a Russian planet, so we shouldn't lag behind," Rogozin, a former deputy prime minister, told reporters on Tuesday. He noted that the Soviet Union was "the first and the only one" to land a spacecraft on Venus.

Reactions: serhiy1635
Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
😁Article from September 17, 2020. I am laughing :

Russia's space agency chief declares Venus a "Russian planet"

Roscosmos chief Dmitry Rogozin, who's known for espousing unconventional scientific views — and for frequently sarcastic anti-Western rhetoric — said this week that Russia wants to send its own mission to Venus, in addition to an already-proposed joint venture with the United States called "Venera-D."
"We think that Venus is a Russian planet, so we shouldn't lag behind," Rogozin, a former deputy prime minister, told reporters on Tuesday. He noted that the Soviet Union was "the first and the only one" to land a spacecraft on Venus.
Soviet Union showed persistent approach ‘We need a bigger boat’ - a good illustration of the technical vision of the starting exploration era, when reaching the Venus surface in 1960's. Through trial and error.

It would be compelling to see the results of increased interest to Venus now.

Diverse approach for the missions:
DAVINCI+ (Deep Atmosphere Venus Investigation of Noble gases, Chemistry, and Imaging).
VERITAS (Venus Emissivity, Radio Science, InSAR, Topography, and Spectroscopy).

Though 'years of relative neglect' of Venus exploration, probably the right time and effective way in the common goal of solar system way-out advanced exploration. Capacity in hand for the coming years processing and understanding in one voice together with other extraterrestrial missions.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

"Though 'years of relative neglect' of Venus exploration, probably the right time and effective way in the common goal of solar system way-out advanced exploration. Capacity in hand for the coming years processing and understanding in one voice together with other extraterrestrial missions."

I would like to see more about the atmosphere about 50 miles up.

Reactions: Lariliss
Just my view:
Mars is pretty certain to be dead, although life may possibly have existed there around 4 bya.
Finding traces of past life would be utterly fantastic, as it would show life existing outside Earth.

Whatever may have happened in the past, the surface of Venus is almost certainly uninhabitable due to the extreme temperature and pressure. However, life in the clouds (a few tens of miles up) may just be possible. Temperature and pressure are Earthlike. BUT it would have to contend with a sulphuric acid atmosphere. Maybe not impossible. Earth has some extreme environments which are inhabited.

We still don't know what's in the massive caverns on Mars. It could be anything. There is life in the caves and caverns here on Earth. From albino eyeless fish, eyeless bats , insects , to light emitting oxygen producing algae.

Catastrophe

I think that the only opportunities for Venus lie in the clouds some tens of miles up where temperature and pressure are Earth-like. But, as we know, there are still the difficulties of sulphuric acid and high winds.

Reactions: Clovis
Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
Russian Venus mission sounds hilarious. But still, I became accustomed to the odd statements of the cheaf of Roscosmos Dmitry Rogozin. He has nothing more just odd statements and stupied proclamations.

Catastrophe

"According to the director, it will not be a single mission but will involve three separate ones with the other two journeys being planned for 2031 and 2034. Venera-D will, however, be the first and will carry out an extensive study of the planet – it’s surrounding plasma, atmosphere and surface.

Within the framework of the Venusian program, there is also a plan to deliver soil from Venus to Earth. It will be implemented after the completion of the landing program, which will involve an examination of the samples and the landing area."

Quite a program!

Sep 7, 2021
Visit site
I'm confused as to why missions to Venus are more interesting than those to Mars? Likewise, what additional data can we obtain from a Venus soil sample that we don't already know?
The first satellite in space. The first Russian on Venus. Naturally. Since the Moon and Mars did not work out. As a backup plan, if they do not have time with Venus, they will fly to the Sun :)

With so much activity on Mars, and that Soviet Union/Russia having had much better luck at Venus, it’s good to have some Venus visits. I hope they have better luck with the heat.

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
Altogether the missions to Venus are promising unprecedented results and are unprecedented by themselves. May look strange, it is not about ‘we forgot Venus’, right?
Venus was the first target for the first interplanetary probes. Then it appeared too difficult for exploration.

Some of the opinions claim that this interest is due to gathering data for understanding natural climate change effects to feed more to the scientific field.

I believe, in any case there will be a lot of benefits, including technology push and, of course, precious data.

Catastrophe

Although there are regions in the clouds where temperature and pressure are 'Earthlike', there is not only the problem of sulphuric acid, but also wind speed. These rather spoil the image of balloons floating gently in the upper atmosphere, enjoying the (otherwise) Earthlike conditions.

Reactions: Lariliss

Latest posts