Satellite pictures of launches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a_lost_packet_

Somewhere, I thought I remembered seeing a satellite photograph of a rocket/shuttle launch. Does anyone know if there have been any satellite photographs of a launch? If so.. link?<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

C

CalliArcale

I think I recall seeing a photo from the ISS of a launch. I'll see if I can find it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

V

vogon13

In the Rogers Comission report on the Challenger accident is a satellite photo of the resulting cloud of smoke and vapor from the break-up of the vehicle.<br /><br />You didn't ask but there are weather radar scans of the material from the Columbia tragedy as well.<br /><br />Those defense satellites that monitor the globe for hostile missle launches probably routinely record all launches, wether any hard copy materials would be available is beyond my ken. I also suspect many if not all meteors above a certain treshhold are recorded also. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

I can understand the difficulty of getting an actual visual image from a satellite. However, what about high altitude pics? ie: From airborne monitoring platforms (if any), "chase" planes, emergency aircraft, security craft etc.. <br /><br />I suppose, a pic from "above" or even a sideshot at high-altitude would sate my curiousity even if it was only from an aircraft. Any launch, any craft. Doesn't matter to me. heh heh<br /><br />Thanks for the responses so far! I'll continue looking around to see if I can dig up anything.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

N

nacnud

IIRC isn't NASA going to use a couple of modified Canberras to monitor the RTF launch, they should produce some spectacular images

N

nacnud

IIRC WB-57F is a Canberra (link). I have no idea about the sensor packages on the WB-57Fs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts