Saturn reclaims 'moon king' title with 62 newfound satellites, bringing total to 145

I think this falls under the category of "mildly interesting". I don't really think the number of moons is as interesting as the number of sizeable moons and the total mass in orbit around the planet. Jupiter can claim all the Trojan asteroids as being under its spell, too, even if they're not directly in orbit.

All that aside, it's not just the size of your moon list but how you use it, too. Saturn has potentially the most interesting moon in the solar system in Titan. Other than Earth, it is the only other body that has sizeable, stable pools of liquid on its surface and a liquid cycle. It's also the only moon with a dense atmosphere.

Reactions: astronomin
May 13, 2023
Visit site
It’s interesting to read about new discoveries and how technology and creative techniques are being applied to uncover new information. But then you had to poison the article by injecting your religious beliefs. Why?

"The newly discovered moons of Saturn are classified as "irregular moons." This term refers to objects that are believed to have been captured by a planet's gravitational influence and end up orbiting it on large, flattened or "elliptical" paths that are more inclined in comparison to the orbits of regular moons."

I would ask how long have these small moons been orbiting Saturn and how long are they stable? Consider the newer reports about Saturn ring age problem.

May 16, 2023
Visit site
토성의 고리는 부서져야 합니다. 토성에서 블랙홀까지의 과정.

Mod Edit
Translation:
Saturn's rings must break. The process from Saturn to a black hole.

Please post in English

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts