Sci Fi Movies on AMC/TCM

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Starting this thread for notices of when old SciFi movies are on.

Right now, AMC is showing the 1953 War of the Worlds...

J

jim48

MeteorWayne":2bhs4j2r said:

I'm watching it right now! They ran it just a month or so ago but there's little else on at 5:00 a.m. Hopefully someone will run Invasion of the Body Snatchers now that actor Kevin McCarthy has passed.

M

MeteorWayne

That would be cool...

Yeah, I keep an eye out for good ol' fashioned SciFi on TV. And 5 AM, I'm usually awake since I plan to be out meteor and UFO ;) observing if it's clear.

F

FlatEarth

MeteorWayne":2h1vmdb7 said:
That would be cool...

Yeah, I keep an eye out for good ol' fashioned SciFi on TV. And 5 AM, I'm usually awake since I plan to be out meteor and UFO ;) observing if it's clear.
I knew you were holding out on us, MW. ;)

PS. This thread is a great idea.

S

Smersh

jim48":3psoabvu said:
MeteorWayne":3psoabvu said:

I'm watching it right now! They ran it just a month or so ago but there's little else on at 5:00 a.m. Hopefully someone will run Invasion of the Body Snatchers now that actor Kevin McCarthy has passed.

Funny you should mention that because I was just about to post about it myself but you beat me to it. The 1953 version is one of my all-time favourite movies. Here's the trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-jzblCbsuA[/youtube]

C

crazyeddie

I just noticed Soylent Green and Fail Safe are coming up on TCM on September 18th.

M

MeteorWayne

crazyeddie":mobhho5c said:
I just noticed Soylent Green and Fail Safe are coming up on TCM on September 18th.
Fail Safe is very good. It is a dramatic and fairly faithful representation of the book. Very Intense!!

D

docm

Have all of those, and more old classics, mostly on remastered DVD's. Moving some to the 6TB media server because they're so frequently enjoyed.

A

a_lost_packet_

crazyeddie":2l5c9ra1 said:

Sweet! Thanks for the headsup!

Failsafe, what an awesome movie! Soylent Green is good, but a little depressing...

M

MeteorWayne

Thanx ALP, those are bookmarked!

The Sept 18 schedule for TCM (Times are EDT)

4:00 PM Soylent Green (1973)
A future cop uncovers the deadly secret behind a mysterious synthetic food. Cast: Charlton Heston, Edward G. Robinson, Leigh Taylor-Young. Dir: Richard Fleischer. C-97 mins, TV-MA, CC, Letterbox Format

5:40 PM Short Film: Look At The World Of Soylent Green, A (1973)
C-10 mins,

6:00 PM Fail Safe (1964)
A failure in the U.S. defense system threatens to start World War III. Cast: Henry Fonda, Walter Matthau, Larry Hagman. Dir : Sidney Lumet. BW-112 mins, TV-14, Letterbox Format

Sept 25:

9:00 AM Mouse That Roared, The (1959)
An impoverished nation declares war on the U.S. hoping to lose and score foreign aid. Cast: Peter Sellers, Jean Seberg, William Hartnell. Dir: Jack Arnold. C-83 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

S

Smersh

MeteorWayne":m7nwnnt9 said:
crazyeddie":m7nwnnt9 said:
Fail Safe is very good. It is a dramatic and fairly faithful representation of the book. Very Intense!!

I agree Fail Safe is a great movie. It's a kind of serious version of Dr Strangelove actually. (Another great movie as well of course.)

J

jim48

Fail Safe was excellent. The Mouse that Roared was a scream! Soylent Green was surprisingly good and I knew that Wayne was out there UFO hunting! :D We finally got him out of the closet!!!

C

crazyeddie

There's quite a sci-fi lineup on TCM coming up on Thursday, October 7th:

8:00 PM Forbidden Planet (1956)
A group of space troopers investigates the destruction of a colony on a remote planet. Cast: Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, Leslie Nielsen. Dir: Fred M. Wilcox. C-99 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format, DVS

10:00 PM Alien (1979)
The crew of a broken down space ship accidentally picks up a deadly alien life form. Cast: Tom Skerritt, Sigourney Weaver, Veronica Cartwright. Dir: Ridley Scott. C-117 mins, TV-MA, CC, Letterbox Format

12:15 AM Countdown (1968)
An astronaut takes a one-way voyage to the moon. Cast: James Caan, Joanna Moore, Robert Duvall. Dir: Robert Altman. C-101 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

2:00 AM Marooned (1969)
Three U.S. astronauts face a slow death when their rockets fail during a space voyage. Cast: Gregory Peck, Richard Crenna, David Janssen. Dir: John Sturges. C-129 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

4:15 AM From The Earth To The Moon (1958)
Lifelong rivals collaborate on a 19th-century moon rocket. Cast: Joseph Cotten, George Sanders, Henry Daniell. Dir: Byron Haskin. C-100 mins, TV-G, CC

C

crazyeddie

Sunday the 17th on TCM:

12:30 PM Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers (1956)
Space invaders attack the nation's capital. Cast: Hugh Marlowe, Joan Taylor, Morris Ankrum. Dir: Fred F. Sears. BW-84 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

2:00 PM Time Machine, The (1960)
A turn-of-the-century inventor sends himself into the future to save humanity. Cast: Rod Taylor, Yvette Mimieux, Alan Young. Dir: George Pal. C-103 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format, DVS

Friday the 22nd:

8:00 PM X The Unknown (1956)
A radioactive ooze terrorizes a remote Scottish village. Cast: Dean Jagger, Leo McKern, Anthony Newley. Dir: Leslie Norman. BW-80 mins, TV-14

9:30 PM Five Million Years To Earth (1968) (*note from crazyeddie: don't miss this one!!)
Subway excavations unearth a deadly force from beyond space and time. Cast: Andrew Keir, James Donald, Barbara Shelley. Dir: Roy Ward Baker. C-98 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

11:15 PM These Are the Damned (1963)
Children bred to survive a nuclear holocaust escape from a top-secret military facility. Cast: Macdonald Carey, Shirley Anne Field, Oliver Reed. Dir: Joseph Losey. BW-95 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

2:30 AM Boogens, The (1982)
Four vacationing college students unearth deadly creatures locked up in an abandoned mine. Cast: Rebecca Balding, Fred McCarren, Anne-Marie Martin. Dir: James L. Conway. C-95 mins,

4:15 AM Night Of The Lepus (1972)
Husband-and-wife scientists unwittingly unleash a horde of giant man-eating rabbits. Cast: Stuart Whitman, Janet Leigh, Rory Calhoun. Dir: William F. Claxton. C-89 mins, TV-14, Letterbox Format

J

jim48

They're both running scary movies all month thanks to Halloween. TCM is showing Forbidden Planet the last week of September. Thanks, Eddie! Correction: Forbidden Planet the first week of October.

D

docm

Smersh":3giwkvim said:
I agree Fail Safe is a great movie. It's a kind of serious version of Dr Strangelove actually. (Another great movie as well of course.)
Interesting story about them. Kubrick was going to make a very similar film to Fail Safe, based on the novel Red Alert by Peter George, when be learned of Fail Safe's production. He morphed his film into a black comedy, Dr. Stranglove, which beat Fail Safe to theaters by 8 months.

On the other hand the novels have their own history; the much more successful Fail Safe was published in the US in 1962 and became the #1 best seller, while Red Alert was published in the UK in 1958 with a much smaller footprint. A lawsuit was settled out of court.

M

MeteorWayne

1953 George Pal War of the Worlds on AMC beginning right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts