Science channel on Astronomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newtonian

Right now and being repeated today until 5 PM are a number of programs on astronomy.

D

dragon04

They also air those shows every Tuesday evening starting at 8pm EST/EDT <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

N

newtonian

Dragon04 - Yes. <br /><br />Any comments on this or other broadcasts on the Science channel?<br /><br />You all - Did anyone else watch it and have comments? I am waiting because I prefer in this case to not influence your take or mental flow which may be different than mine.

A

alokmohan

I am quite ignorant on this point .Please enltghen me with intro.

N

newtonian

alokmohan - Sorry I neglected this thread. <br /><br />Now, this may be a differenct broadcast on the Science channel.<br /><br />It deals with high energy observations .<br /><br />For example, ultraviolet obervations of the Crab nebula.<br /><br />The broadcast had an amazing time lapse photograph showing how the central pulsar's magnetic field energized the surrounding gas in the nebula - it shows obvious motion in time scales of days!<br /><br />Also, very beautiful photos of other nebulae.<br /><br />But UV observations only show the hottest objects.<br /><br />The broadcast goes on to detail x-ray and gamma ray observations.<br /><br />BTW - these are all part of the electomagnetic spectrum that includes visible light.<br /><br />The broadcast also shows Hershel's (sp?) discovery of infra-red light waves. His discovery was accidental, expanding on Newton's discovery of the light spectrum via a prism.<br /><br />Even redder than infra-red is radio waves.<br /><br />And the broadcast goes into radio astronomy.<br /><br />Showing, for example, gas jets from galaxies.<br /><br />On the opposite side of the electromagnetic spectrum are high energy gamma rays.<br /><br />You can see into the cores of galaxies and the inner regions of galactic gas jets through x-ray and gamma-ray astronomy.<br /><br />Thankfully, x-rays and gamma-rays from space do not reach earth's surface - we are protected.<br /><br />So observatories must be launced into space!<br /><br />Grazing incidence mirrors, reflecting x-rays coming in at low angles, allows x-ray astronomy (otherwise x-rays would pass right through the observatory!).<br /><br />Magnetic effects cause hot enough spots on the sun for x-ray observations.<br /><br />White dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes all cause very hot effects that emit x-rays.<br /><br />For example, a binary involving a red giant and one of these compact stars.<br /><br />Cygnus x-1 is an example of a black hole binary. <br /><br />Accretion disks reach 10's and then 100's of millions of d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts